Links for September 27, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 4:19 AM
- ↪︎ Retail shrink, and theft's role as a share of it, is largely in line with historical norms, even as companies call it out more, according to a major NRF survey.
Retail theft isn't actually increasing much, major industry study finds — CNBC
- ↪︎ Designed by the famed architect, the house is hitting the market for $1.5 million
A Frank Lloyd Wright Home in Milwaukee Lists for the First Time in Almost 70 Years — The Wall Street Journal
- ↪︎ Lahaina's beloved Banyan three is showing promising signs of resilience, weeks after destructive wildfires tore through the area.
Maui's Banyan Tree Is Miraculously Showing Signs Of Life And Beginning To Bloom, Weeks After The Lahaina Wildfire — UPROXX
Links for September 24, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 5:18 AM
- ↪︎ Offline Is Just Online With Extreme Latency
- ↪︎ SwiftUI EnvironmentValues
- ↪︎ Designing for the unexpected is hard, if not impossible. However we can train ourselves to make the unpredictable nature of people a part of our design process. Here's what I learned while designing for kids.
Designing for the Unexpected
- ↪︎ Beyond the mystique lies a complicated history.
Where Did “Tibetan” Sound Bowls Really Come From?
- ↪︎ Quick question: How would you align all subviews horizontally while keeping their centers aligned using autolayout?
Autolayout and aligning subviews
- ↪︎ Parse and generate Swift code using SwiftSyntax packages. It is especially useful when writing custom Swift Macros.
SwiftSyntax: Parse and Generate Swift source code
- ↪︎ In addition to the PhaseAnimator, SwiftUI introduced the KeyframeAnimator in iOS 17, allowing developers to create advanced animations using keyframes. In
Creating Advanced Animation with KeyframeAnimator in SwiftUI
Links for September 21, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 4:09 PM
- ↪︎ I was watching Succession and this building was in the episode “Dundee”. Gorgeous!
VA& Dundee: A Cliff Hanger - Kengo Kuma & Associates
Links for September 16, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Sep 16, 2023 5:15 AM
- ↪︎ Military laboratory specialists assisting local officials identify human remains cautioned that death tolls sometimes change as body bags are processed.
Death toll from Maui wildfires drops to 97, with 31 missing — The Washington Post
Links for September 7, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Sep 7, 2023 6:37 PM
- ↪︎ The town’s historic preservation group is considering plans to reconstruct some buildings that partially survived the Aug. 8 fire.
Some Historic Lahaina Buildings Could Rise From The Ashes — Honolulu Civil Beat
- ↪︎ An open source Nintendo Network replacement that aims to build custom servers for the WiiU and 3DS family of consoles
- ↪︎ The plaintiffs want a court to force the state to let more water reach the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi River.
The Great Salt Lake is shrinking rapidly, and Utah has failed to stop it, a lawsuit contends
Links for September 4, 2023
Posted on Monday, Sep 4, 2023 3:13 AM
Links for September 2, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Sep 2, 2023 6:10 AM
- ↪︎ A Muted Palette Unifies The Interior Of This Remodeled Mid-Century Modern Home
- ↪︎ Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Convenience Property Wrappers vs Custom Data Access Layer in SwiftUI
Property Wrappers Vs Data Access Layer
- ↪︎ SARS-CoV-2 can damage mitochondrion in heart, other organs, study finds
- ↪︎ Xcode 15 can automatically create Swift symbols for your resources without any third party. Let's learn how to do it.
Access Images and Colors with Enum in Xcode 15
- ↪︎ OSLog is a unified logging framework available for a long time, but I haven’t adopted it much. But things are about to change with a new feature from WWDC 2023.
Why you should use OSLog in 2023
Links for September 1, 2023
Posted on Friday, Sep 1, 2023 4:19 AM
Links for August 29, 2023
Posted on Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023 10:37 PM
Links for August 27, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Aug 27, 2023 8:53 PM
- ↪︎ This summer, El Capitan Meadow is being restored by a group of Indigenous youth passionate about protecting the land and culture of their tribes.
A new generation preserves tribal land and culture in America’s national parks
- ↪︎ Fundraisers for Maui wildfire victims in Hawaiʻi , California, Washington : Maui Now
Links for August 26, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Aug 26, 2023 4:13 PM
- ↪︎ The Aug. 8 fires in Lahaina and Upcountry killed at least 115 people and left thousands more without their homes and businesses. Here's a look back at the past two weeks.
The Maui Fires In Photos: Devastation And Recovery
Links for August 25, 2023
Posted on Friday, Aug 25, 2023 10:17 PM
- ↪︎ In iOS 17, Apple introduced the SwiftUI Preview Macro for previewing SwiftUI and UIKit views. This tutorial will walk you through its usage.
How to Use the SwiftUI Preview Macro in Xcode
Links for August 23, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 23, 2023 1:27 AM
- ↪︎ As the Hawaiian island starts its recovery from the Lahaina fire, it relies even more heavily on out-of-state visitors than its neighbors
Maui Residents Reckon With How Much Tourism They Want—and How Quickly — The Wall Street Journal
- ↪︎ The Lahaina fire – the most devastating of the blazes – burned an estimated 2,170 acres.
How many acres have burned in Maui? — CBS News
- ↪︎ In iOS 17, Apple introduced a new and simpler way to make a view response to data changes.
Observation Framework in iOS 17
Links for August 20, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Aug 20, 2023 4:33 PM
- ↪︎ A changing climate is an obvious culprit, with elevated temperatures generating more severe weather, drying out landscapes and then whipping them into an inferno with strong winds
The lush and humid island of Maui wasn’t supposed to burn. Why did it? — The Globe and Mail
- ↪︎ Photoshop maker Adobe's co-founder John Warnock died on Saturday aged 82, the company said in a statement early on Sunday.
Adobe co-founder John Warnock dies at 82
Links for August 19, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Aug 19, 2023 5:41 PM
- ↪︎ Residents are also trying to safeguard Upcountry homes from the increased chance of dangerous mudslides.
Race Underway To Glue Down The Lahaina Fire's Toxic Ash Before Rains Wash It Into The Ocean
- ↪︎ Sandwich Isles Communications had already buried miles of lines and is in position to extend service to other companies.
Fragile Fiber Lines In Lahaina Were Burned And Battered, Taking Out 911 And Cell Service. Now What?
- ↪︎ Foundation’s URL (née NSURL) is a nearly ubiquitous API on Apple platforms. One of its shortcomings is that it is heavily overloaded – an instance of URL cou...
Swift URL absoluteString versus path
Links for August 18, 2023
Posted on Friday, Aug 18, 2023 1:08 AM
- ↪︎ Herman Andaya, administrator of the county’s emergency management agency, had defended his decision not to use the sirens.
Maui's top emergency official is out after failing to sound sirens as fires approached — NBC News
Links for August 17, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Aug 17, 2023 4:09 AM
- ↪︎ The Maui Emergency Management Agency didn't see the sirens as a viable tool to warn Lahaina's people about the incoming blaze.
Maui Emergency Chief Defends Decision Not To Activate Warning Sirens
Links for August 16, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 16, 2023 6:01 PM
Links for August 15, 2023
Posted on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2023 10:34 PM
- ↪︎ As the Maui wildfires’ death toll approaches 100, Hawaii’s governor ordered an official review of decisions leading up to the disaster
What to Know About the Government Response to the Maui Wildfires — TIME
- ↪︎ The famous tree is "still breathing" – even as ash and rubble cover the world around it.
Amid Maui wildfire ash, Lahaina's 150-year-old banyan tree offers hope as it remains standing
Links for August 13, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Aug 13, 2023 4:05 PM
- ↪︎ Cadaver dogs have searched just 3% of the hardest-hit area.
Death toll in Lahaina rises to 93 as families with missing loved ones are asked for DNA samples
- ↪︎ See map and details on fatalities, rescues, resources and other live updates in the wildfires raging across Maui.
LIVE: Maui Wildfire Photos And Updates, Lahaina And Kula
Links for August 12, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Aug 12, 2023 11:47 PM
- ↪︎ Here is what we know about the origin of the Maui fire and how it so rapidly became an unstoppable force that tore through Lahaina.
Anatomy of a monster: Maui fire seemed under control. Then it exploded with lethal force — Los Angeles Times
- ↪︎ Before the Maui wildfires, Hawaiian Electric did not have a plan — such as those in California — to power down its electric lines in advance of high winds.
Hawaii utility faces scrutiny for not cutting power to reduce fire risks — The Washington Post
- ↪︎ ‘It’s just really frustrating and heartbreaking to see that some things could have been done,’ says author of 2014 report
Hawaii Officials Were Warned Years Ago That Maui’s Lahaina Faced High Wildfire Risk — The Wall Street Journal
- ↪︎ The world doesn’t need more reminders that climate change is accelerating. But we’re going to keep getting them.
Hawaii Is a Warning
Links for August 3, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Aug 3, 2023 8:57 PM
- ↪︎ Detecting Scroll Positions in ScrollView with SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Three ways to create a pivot table in plain SQL.
Building a pivot table in SQLite
- ↪︎ Evals, RAG, fine-tuning, caching, guardrails, defensive UX, and collecting user feedback.
Patterns for Building LLM-based Systems & Products
- ↪︎ System settings that aren’t in System Settings
Links for August 2, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 2, 2023 5:00 PM
Links for August 1, 2023
Posted on Tuesday, Aug 1, 2023 11:32 PM
- ↪︎ Pixar, Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, and NVIDIA today announced the Alliance for OpenUSD to promote the standardization of Universal Scene Description.
Pixar, Adobe, Apple, Autodesk, and NVIDIA form Alliance for OpenUSD
Links for July 21, 2023
Posted on Friday, Jul 21, 2023 9:25 PM
- ↪︎ My new favorite coding music.
Listening to culture. Playing with audio. Sounding out technology. Composing in code.
- ↪︎ Watch Footage of Claude Monet Painting in His Famous Garden at Giverny (1915)
- ↪︎ What is software engineering? | Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programmers
Links for July 20, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Jul 20, 2023 4:55 PM
Links for July 19, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 19, 2023 10:01 PM
- ↪︎ Building a framework for how AI Companies navigate the dark forest of foundation models while deploying large sums of R&D capital
The Dark Forest of R&D and Capital Deployment in AI
- ↪︎ Unraveling Int16, Int32, and Int64 in Swift: Key Differences, Code Examples, and Optimization Strategies
- ↪︎ Original Apollo 11 Guidance Computer (AGC) source code for the command and lunar modules.
chrislgarry/Apollo-11: Original Apollo 11 Guidance Computer (AGC) source code for the command and lunar modules.
Links for July 16, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Jul 16, 2023 9:05 PM
Links for July 15, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Jul 15, 2023 12:37 AM
- ↪︎ This is a really nice design for this.
SwiftUI: Trailing label TextField
- ↪︎ Impressive recreation of the vents on an old Datsun. The $600 Creality scanner did a surprisingly good job compared to the $14k scanner.
3D scanning + 3D printing to complete a classic car restoration
Links for July 14, 2023
Posted on Friday, Jul 14, 2023 11:55 PM
- ↪︎ Adding reverse masks to a view to cut out those pixels.
Blendmode trick: SwiftUI reverse mask
- ↪︎ Home to many art treasures, Milan’s Biblioteca Ambrosiana has preserved an extraordinary collection of Leonardo da Vinci’s drawings—now showcased in an American exhibition.
The Greatest Museum You’ve Never Heard Of — The Atlantic
Links for July 10, 2023
Posted on Monday, Jul 10, 2023 1:01 AM
Links for July 9, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Jul 9, 2023 8:49 PM
- ↪︎ How the relative size modifier interacts with stack views – Ole Begemann
- ↪︎ Oh… So That's How Hash Tables Work
- ↪︎ 5 Simple Steps to Find Slow Code Using Xcode Time Profiler
- ↪︎ Dynamic member lookup in Swift
- ↪︎ How to initialize @Binding in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Wrapping functions in structs
- ↪︎ The Identity Theory of Autism: How Autistic Identity Is Experienced Differently
- ↪︎ Using Swift Reflection
- ↪︎ Working with percentages in SwiftUI layout – Ole Begemann
- ↪︎ Animate SF Symbols with symbolEffect
- ↪︎ Fan creates new USB-Newton cable, no adapters required
- ↪︎ Exploring a new iOS codebase
- ↪︎ I disagree with the idea that sequence diagrams were the only good part of UML, but they are the one part I still use.
Sequence diagrams, the only good thing UML brought to software development
- ↪︎ ZSH Cheatsheet
- ↪︎ Improving multiplatform SwiftUI code
- ↪︎ USB MIDI interface for the NeXTCube - ISPW board - 0110.be
Links for July 7, 2023
Posted on Friday, Jul 7, 2023 6:54 PM
- ↪︎ A 1920 Berkeley home, shaped by talented female designers across two centuries, is vibrantly updated for modern living
In Berkeley, a 103-year-old home by a pioneering female architect, updated for modern life by interior designer Lauren Geremia — Architectural Digest
- ↪︎ Fiber artist Marques Hanalei Marzan carries on the artistic customs of his ancestors
This Hawaiian Artist Weaves Contemporary Style With Ancient Tradition — Smithsonian Magazine
Links for July 5, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 5, 2023 8:24 PM
- ↪︎ I tried to explain the ZX Spectrum to my son. It didn’t go well | Games | The Guardian
I tried to explain the ZX Spectrum to my son. It didn’t go well | Dominik Diamond
Links for June 30, 2023
Posted on Friday, Jun 30, 2023 2:15 AM
Links for June 29, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Jun 29, 2023 9:05 PM
- ↪︎ Spanning 25 blocks, 30 sustainable mass timber buildings will add 7,000 new offices and 2,000 new homes.
The largest ‘wooden city’ in the world is going up in Stockholm
Links for June 26, 2023
Posted on Monday, Jun 26, 2023 6:26 PM
- ↪︎ Here’s a big ol list of entertaining rabbit holes to fall down into.
- ↪︎ Completed in 2019 in Teg, Sweden. Images by Pavel Sliwka, Larsson Fredrik. The footbridge, which is situated in the city’s recreation area, connects the river’s left bank with the island of Bölesholmarna and links up to a...
Lundabron Bridge / Strasky, Husty a partneri (SHP)
- ↪︎ Birdsong is an animated short by CalArts animation student Michelle Cheng. The evocative conservation story was inspired by the experiences of the late
Birdsong, an animation about Hawaii's Kaua'i 'ō'ō
- ↪︎ Easy multipart file upload for Swift
Links for June 25, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Jun 25, 2023 1:54 AM
- ↪︎ How to use the @available attribute in Swift
- ↪︎ Using URLSession with async/await in Swift
- ↪︎ Completed in 2019 in San Francisco, United States. Images by Tim Griffith, Matthew Millman, Cesar Rubio. Moscone Center is an expansive collection of light-filled spaces that accommodates a variety of convention-related activities while making strong...
Moscone Center Expansion / Skidmore, Owings & Merrill + Mark Cavagnero Associates
- ↪︎ These Homes Prove that Prefabrication Doesn't Have to Be Modular or Monotonous
- ↪︎ Exerting Influence Without Authority
- ↪︎ New exhibition celebrates first independent woman architect in U.S., Minerva Parker Nichols
- ↪︎ Global oil production averaged 89.8 million barrels of oil per day in 2021. Here are the world's largest oil producers.
Visualizing the World’s Largest Oil Producers
- ↪︎ This map juxtaposes nations and Indian states to provide a new perspective on the world's soon-to-be most populous country
Mapped: The Population of India’s States Compared with Countries
- ↪︎ Learn what progress view is and how to use it.
- ↪︎ Introduction to antipatterns for retrospectives, and how to refactor your situation for the better
- ↪︎ Musée Mécanique is a “Creepy and Delightful Vintage Arcade in San Francisco.” The arcade is an interactive gallery of old-fashioned penny arcade games and artifacts. You can find it at the Fisherma…
Short documentary about antique arcade Musée Mécanique in San Francisco
- ↪︎ Swift In-Out (inout) Parameters
- ↪︎ Things I Learnt from a Senior Software Engineer
- ↪︎ From qubits to quantum superposition: How quantum computers work
- ↪︎ MS-DOS game programmers had do deal with several limitations, In this article, we'll go over some of these obstacles and learn how we used the DOS/4GW extender & protected mode to unleash the power of 32-bit DOS.
DOS/4GW and Protected Mode
- ↪︎ Interactive article explaining how GPS works.
GPS – Bartosz Ciechanowski
- ↪︎ Prince’s Legendary Concert at First Avenue in 1983
- ↪︎ A Guided Tour of the NES
- ↪︎ A study finds that certain types of microbes in the gut can be an early warning for Alzheimer's
When Gut Bacteria May Be an Early Sign of Disease
- ↪︎ Gentle Brain Stimulation Can Improve Memory During Sleep — WIRED
- ↪︎ Black Los Angeles and the LAPD in the Early 1960s
- ↪︎ The First Gui? Volscan Controls The Air
- ↪︎ Ancient Sumerian Star Map Reveals Cataclysmic Asteroid Impact
- ↪︎ Are You Confusing Leadership and Control?
- ↪︎ When working on large iOS apps, all the tasks you need to perform before you even get started writing code can begin to consume a lot of time. I’m talking ab...
Make your terminal tell you when it's done
- ↪︎ When debugging a large project in Xcode that a large team works on, the console can get quite busy. Logs are everywhere! It can be difficult to sift through ...
Xcode Tip: filtering debugger output
- ↪︎ This is neat - Feedbase turns RSS feeds into NNTP posts.
- ↪︎ A beginner-friendly tutorial on bitwise operations in C
Demystifying bitwise operations, a gentle C tutorial
- ↪︎ Black Soldiers and their Families' Activism during the Antebellum Era
- ↪︎ Chengdu Tianfu City Planning Hall / AND Studio
- ↪︎ Completed in 2022 in Mykonos, Greece. Images by Yiannis Hadjiaslanis , George Fakaros. In a plot with a significant slope and south orientation, located in Choulakia, Mykonos, and overlooking Delos and Rineia islands, we decided to...
Latypi Residence / A31 Architecture
- ↪︎ Swift DocC: How to Host Document Archive on Web Server and GitHub Pages
- ↪︎ Use Xcode to develop a multiplatform app
- ↪︎ Merge Sort In Swift
- ↪︎ Visualise the Matthew Effect with Swift Charts
- ↪︎ Three Ways to Refactor Massive SwiftUI Views
- ↪︎ How to use custom names for Swift properties when decoding JSON data
- ↪︎ Developer guide on passkeys for iOS
- ↪︎ Using RSS to ‘Rewild’ What You See
- ↪︎ Mastering charts in SwiftUI: Legends.
Links for June 24, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Jun 24, 2023 11:53 PM
- ↪︎ How to send Remote Push Notifications to an iOS Simulator with Xcode 14
- ↪︎ How to Create an iOS Lock Screen Widget?
- ↪︎ Modern SwiftUI: Testing
- ↪︎ How to Get Started with FMDB using Swift
- ↪︎ How Our Reality May Be a Sum of All Possible Realities
- ↪︎ How to Hide Navigation Bar on Scroll in UIKit
- ↪︎ Swift fileprivate vs private
- ↪︎ Resistor Color Band Calculator: Your Go-To App for Effortless Resistor Calculations
Links for June 11, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Jun 11, 2023 9:12 PM
Links for May 31, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2023 5:55 PM
- ↪︎ Interactive US Maps of Noise Exposure
Links for May 3, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023 10:32 PM
- ↪︎ Economic woes and Fed tightening have taken their toll on the world's most valuable companies. Here's who is still part of the $1T club, and who's not.
The Shrinking Trillion Dollar Market Cap Club
Links for May 1, 2023
Posted on Monday, May 1, 2023 10:40 PM
- ↪︎ Understanding Swift Concurrency’s AsyncStream
- ↪︎ A new study published in the journal Nature Communications Biology suggests that whale songs may actually just be nature’s emo croon. Using an 18-year dataset of humpback whale behavior, the …
Less whaling means less whale wailing
- ↪︎ In 2019 an extraordinary team of web development and design celebrities gathered in the offices of CERN in Geneva, Switzerland, to build an emulator of the original web browser created by Tim Berne…
- ↪︎ How to Fetch and Show Remote Data on a Widget?
- ↪︎ How to Update or Refresh a Widget?
- ↪︎ Stranger Things - Season 4: Breaking Down The Breakdown - Demomonsters - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Stranger Things - Season 4: Breaking Down The Breakdown - Vecna & The Demogorgon - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Adapters in Swift
- ↪︎ SwiftUI custom layout with Simple Layout Engine
- ↪︎ This animation highlights the benefits of investing early on in life by showing how much of your total earnings come from your early years.
Animated Chart: The Benefits of Investing Early in Life
- ↪︎ Where do the world's major earthquakes happen? This map highlights the epicenters of earthquakes on record between 1956 and 2022.
Mapped: The World’s Major Earthquakes from 1956‒2022
- ↪︎ A 1933 novel tracks the Nazis’ rise to power in real time.
What It Feels Like When Fascism Starts
- ↪︎ How People With Dementia Make Sense of the World
- ↪︎ The single-story house was originally only 1,200 square feet and was built for $125,000 for Carmel resident Della Walker in 1952.
Famous Frank Lloyd Wright-Designed Della Walker House In Carmel Sells for $22 Million
- ↪︎ Learn how to re-include an ignored file in .gitignore.
How to whitelist files in .gitignore
- ↪︎ Super old, but still very applicable post.
Hypertext Style: Cool URIs don't change.
- ↪︎ OpenRCT2 is the open-source adaption of the classic hit RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. Including online multiplayer, fast-forwarding and numerous bug fixes.
OpenRCT2 OpenRCT2 project
- ↪︎ Treasure Trove of Over 1700 Mechanical Animations
- ↪︎ Sharing data with UIActivityViewController - tips & tricks
- ↪︎ Iterating over web socket messages with async / await in Swift
- ↪︎ The 23 Most Anticipated Projects of 2023
- ↪︎ I would live in a pyramid house in the woods. If it has WiFi.
The Pyramid Cabin / Wiki World + Advanced Architecture Lab[AaL]
Links for April 26, 2023
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 26, 2023 6:22 PM
Links for April 25, 2023
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 3:38 AM
- ↪︎ Creating an XCFramework
- ↪︎ How to add Launch Screen in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ The sand dunes were imaged as part of a program to see how frost melts on the Red Planet in late winter.
Strange circular dunes on Mars spotted in these NASA photos
- ↪︎ SwiftUI views versus modifiers
- ↪︎ Using a UIKit or AppKIt View in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Mastering charts in SwiftUI. Basics.
- ↪︎ Embrace Swift generics
- ↪︎ Xcode multi-cursor editing (Control-Shift-Click).
Xcode Multi-Cursor Editing
- ↪︎ Learn about Swift on the server by creating a simple application using the brand new HTTP server library called: Hummingbird.
Beginner's guide to server-side Swift using the Hummingbird framework
- ↪︎ How to Deprecate old API in Swift
- ↪︎ At New York State’s only sea turtle rehabilitation center, workers are nursing a record number of sick patients back to health.
Where New York’s Sick Sea Turtles Go for Rehab and Squid Snacks
- ↪︎ How to Turn On Advanced Data Protection for iCloud
- ↪︎ This is fascinating! A ton of mechanics involved.
Reverse-engineering an electromechanical Central Air Data Computer
- ↪︎ NCSA Mosaic Turns 20
- ↪︎ Copy on Write in Swift explained with examples
- ↪︎ How to Create a Checkbox in SwiftUI Using ToggleStyle
Links for March 18, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Mar 18, 2023 6:41 PM
- ↪︎ View Composition using ViewModifiers in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Tables Quick Guide
- ↪︎ Everyone who says "tech debt" assumes they know what we’re all talking about, but their individual pictures differ quite a bit.
Stop saying “technical debt”
- ↪︎ How to create a Popover in iOS using Swift
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Tip: Always correct corner radius for subviews
- ↪︎ How to: Implementing “Shared with You” APIs
- ↪︎ Semantic Colors and Styles
- ↪︎ Building a Scrollable Custom Tab Bar in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Pete Docter on Pixar's Future, Where Lightyear Went Wrong
- ↪︎ PLATO: How an educational computer system from the ’60s shaped the future | Ars Technica
Links for March 4, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Mar 4, 2023 11:15 PM
- ↪︎ Five Sleep Habits That Could Be the Key to a Longer Life
- ↪︎ This is awesome
"The Office" but Pam is everyone [deepfake]
- ↪︎ Six Principles for Focus and Simplicity
- ↪︎ Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright apprentice James DeLong, the Termini Residence is seeking $2.1M.
A Historic L.A. Home Just Hit the Market for the First Time in 70 Years
- ↪︎ What Steve Jobs told Rupert Murdoch
- ↪︎ California’s last remaining nuclear power plant will definitely remain open at least a couple more years, and the state wants it running until 2023, but PG&E wants it running another 20 years.
Diablo Canyon Nuclear Plant Gets Reprieve to Stay Open Past 2025, Could Be Running Another 20 Years
- ↪︎ That’s too bad — the lights were so pretty.
Bay Lights on the Bay Bridge Scheduled To Be Shut Off Sunday Night
- ↪︎ Keyframe animations in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Those polygons got out of hand.
Butterfly Studio, 2008 | Valerie Schweitzer Architects | Archinect
- ↪︎ Stunning archways.
Adjaye Associates completes Abrahamic Family House, a collection of religious spaces that ‘dissolves the notion of hierarchal difference’
- ↪︎ Recreating The iOS Timer App In SwiftUI
- ↪︎ This really nails it.
Things to know before becoming an Engineering Manager
- ↪︎ I’m a bit too excited about this.
The classic Apple Books page turn animation is back in iOS 16.4, here’s how it works
Links for March 2, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Mar 2, 2023 4:20 AM
- ↪︎ The Xerox Alto, which debuted in the early spring of 1973, is uncannily familiar today, because we are living in a world of computing that the Alto created. Here's how the Alto came to be.
50 Years Later, We’re Still Living in the Xerox Alto’s World
Links for February 26, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Feb 26, 2023 3:58 AM
- ↪︎ You don't need protocols
- ↪︎ A pirate's ride for me!
- ↪︎ 15 People We Could See As The Next Black President
- ↪︎ Storing a Swift Enum in Core Data
- ↪︎ Iconic Santa Cruz landmark to be destroyed
- ↪︎ Windows on ARM comes to the Mac… officially
- ↪︎ Teller Reveals His Secrets
- ↪︎ Rewriting a Git repo to remove secrets from the history
- ↪︎ sips: Scriptable image processing system
- ↪︎ How Silicon Valley Moguls Save Millions in Taxes by Skirting a Century-Old Law
- ↪︎ State E-bike Incentive Program Is Still a Ways Off
- ↪︎ How To Speed Up Swift By Ordering Conformances
- ↪︎ How Ancient Humans Came to Cope With the Cold
- ↪︎ An unusually high number of whales are washing up on U.S. beaches
- ↪︎ How to Create Configurable Widgets With Static Options?
- ↪︎ Using User Defaults to store preferences in Swift
- ↪︎ Mastering charts in SwiftUI Customizations
- ↪︎ The Evolution of Barack Obama
- ↪︎ Great Black Autobiographies You Must Add to Your Reading List
- ↪︎ Year in review: top 10 houses of 2022
- ↪︎ The Fendi factory in Tuscany disappears into the landscape
- ↪︎ EnumArray in Swift
- ↪︎ Compose custom layouts with SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Build a Live Barcode and Text Scanner iOS App with SwiftUI & VisionKit iOS 16 API
- ↪︎ Mastering the Art of Letting Go
Links for February 23, 2023
Posted on Thursday, Feb 23, 2023 4:06 AM
Links for February 13, 2023
Posted on Monday, Feb 13, 2023 6:10 AM
Links for February 11, 2023
Posted on Saturday, Feb 11, 2023 4:55 PM
- ↪︎ Observing the content offset of a SwiftUI ScrollView
- ↪︎ Constant Springs Residence
- ↪︎ Reminds me of buildings in the movie Toys.
Miwo Hotel / AT DESIGN
- ↪︎ Computer archaeology with a modern language (and a bit more runtime work)
Rescuing Files From Classic Mac OS...with Swift!
Links for February 3, 2023
Posted on Friday, Feb 3, 2023 4:46 PM
Links for January 20, 2023
Posted on Friday, Jan 20, 2023 12:47 AM
- ↪︎ The Apple Lisa Source code has been released!!
The Lisa: Apple's Most Influential Failure - CHM
Links for January 17, 2023
Posted on Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 3:16 PM
Links for January 15, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Jan 15, 2023 11:59 PM
- ↪︎ Building custom layout in SwiftUI. LayoutValueKey.
- ↪︎ OptionSet in Swift explained with code examples
- ↪︎ Ocean plastics: How much do rich countries contribute by shipping their waste overseas? - Our World in Data
- ↪︎ Meet distributed actors in Swift
- ↪︎ Thre staircases in this house are everything.
GD House | ESQUISSOS | Archinect
- ↪︎ In-Browser emulation of a *ton* of different platforms! IBM-PC era, TI-57 Calculators, PDP-11/70, this is nuts.
- ↪︎ Presenting Sheets Of Various Heights In SwiftUI
- ↪︎ OpenSFHistory Top Ten: The Bridges of Golden Gate Park
- ↪︎ Wild mammals are making a comeback in Europe thanks to conservation efforts - Our World in Data
- ↪︎ How to allow landscape for single screen in your UIKit app
- ↪︎ Visualized: The Biggest Donors of the 2022 U.S. Midterm Elections
- ↪︎ The Best Black Movies of 2022
- ↪︎ Mastering NavigationStack in SwiftUI. NavigationPath.
- ↪︎ How to use FormatStyle to restrict TextField input in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ How to remove the Last row separator in SwiftUI List
- ↪︎ me likey.
Abrigo Alto / gru.a | ArchDaily
Links for January 8, 2023
Posted on Sunday, Jan 8, 2023 3:54 PM
- ↪︎ Consoles and Competition
- ↪︎ Why America Doesn’t Build What It Invents
- ↪︎ Mastering Dynamic Island in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Labeled Content
- ↪︎ How do transistors work, anyway?
- ↪︎ Modern Japanese houses inspiring minimalism and avant-garde living
- ↪︎ Sheets in SwiftUI explained with code examples
- ↪︎ How to check if an Element is in an Array in Swift
- ↪︎ The supply chain is key for the renewable energy revolution, and this chart visualizes where the world's solar panels are manufactured.
Visualizing China’s Dominance in the Solar Panel Supply Chain
- ↪︎ Enum explained in-depth with code examples in Swift
- ↪︎ The Untethered Tongue: Lifting the Black Feminine Voice in Jazz
Links for January 3, 2023
Posted on Tuesday, Jan 3, 2023 3:32 AM
- ↪︎ The history of the packaging of Agnostura bitters is quite amusing.
When Life Gives You Angostura, Make A Cocktail …
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Scrollable View Backgrounds
- ↪︎ AIA Brooklyn celebrates nine winning projects for its 2022 BKDA Design Awards
- ↪︎ This Octagonal Spiderweb-Shaped Structure Is A Home For A Family In Japan
Links for January 2, 2023
Posted on Monday, Jan 2, 2023 1:28 AM
- ↪︎ Sloping Rooflines Overhang The Separate Wings Of This Home
- ↪︎ Race, Religion, and The History Behind ‘Heathen’
- ↪︎ Visualizing the Water Accessibility Divide in Sub-Saharan Africa
- ↪︎ What's new in Nearby Interaction
- ↪︎ That’s one huge skate ramp.
Science and Innovation Center VIZIUM / Audrius Ambrasas Architects
- ↪︎ Cute. It looks like a 50’s camper.
World's first 100% bio-based 3D printed home unveiled at the University of Maine
- ↪︎ Very organic and gorgeous.
Elegant Cathedral-Like Wood Columns Support A Canopy Over This New Supermarket
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Multi-line Text Fields
- ↪︎ A powerful UINavigationController API that you might not know about
- ↪︎ Did you know that Soy sauce and Shoyu are 2 different things?
What is Shoyu and why calling soy sauce "SHOYU" is wrong
- ↪︎ 90 different elements form the building blocks for everything on Earth. Some are being used up, and soon could be endangered.
The Periodic Table of Endangered Elements
- ↪︎ A History of Alternative Currencies Before Cryptocurrency
Links for December 20, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Dec 20, 2022 11:18 PM
- ↪︎ There oughta be a Game Boy capture cartridge (there is one)
There oughta be a Game Boy capture cartridge.
- ↪︎ Understanding Crash Reports on iPhone OS
- ↪︎ Using Core Data With CloudKit
- ↪︎ The craft of SwiftUI API design: Progressive disclosure
- ↪︎ Sprites mods - A Christmas tree bauble that plays Doom
- ↪︎ What is Swift Computed Property
- ↪︎ What is the difference between #available and @available
- ↪︎ Corbin makes some really gorgeous wood bowls and other carpentry. He setup a shop on Etsy, check it out!
Corbin’s Workshop Store on Etsy
- ↪︎ The evolution of whales from land to sea
- ↪︎ The Civil War and Natchez U.S. Colored Troops
- ↪︎ Providing a default value for a SwiftUI Binding
- ↪︎ Applying complex gestures to a SwiftUI view
- ↪︎ What is the difference between List and ForEach in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Showing a Swift Enum’s Values in a SwiftUI Picker
- ↪︎ The Two Faces of Codable/Serde
- ↪︎ How to resolve merge conflicts for long-lived branches
- ↪︎ The Morning After: Black Women and the March on Washington
- ↪︎ Searchable vs. Textfield in a sheet deployed with presentationDetents
Searchable vs. Textfield in a sheet deployed with presentationDetents
- ↪︎ Testing async/await exceptions
- ↪︎ Understanding SwiftUI view lifecycles
- ↪︎ clipped() doesn’t affect hit testing
- ↪︎ Where View.task gets its main-actor isolation from
- ↪︎ The Apple II Yellowstone Floppy Interface
- ↪︎ Add name for debugging
- ↪︎ I/O is no longer the bottleneck
- ↪︎ Shortcuts: Automating the Mac
- ↪︎ SortComparator and SortDescriptor
- ↪︎ The Complete Angler in paintings 1
- ↪︎ ARC in Swift: Basics and beyond
- ↪︎ Colour Notes 12: Monochrome paintings
- ↪︎ This castles a keep-er
- ↪︎ Explainer: Machine learning
- ↪︎ COVID-19 Pandemic Fuels Worst Decline in Childhood Vaccinations in 30 Years
- ↪︎ Paintings of the Vienna Secession 1: Gustav Klimt
- ↪︎ Meet Background Assets
- ↪︎ Use Xcode for server-side development
- ↪︎ Hello Swift Charts
- ↪︎ Mapped: The World’s Countries Compared by 20 Key Metrics
- ↪︎ Old post from July:
Happy Birthday, Dada, 106 today
Happy Birthday, Dada, 106 today
Links for December 12, 2022
Posted on Monday, Dec 12, 2022 12:32 AM
- ↪︎ If the Defense Department can't get its books straight, how can it be trusted with a budget of more than $800 billion per year?
The Pentagon fails its fifth audit in a row
Links for December 11, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Dec 11, 2022 5:52 PM
- ↪︎ UHMMM I might need to go to Kansas City.
Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks Live in Kansas City, MO August 19, 2023
Links for December 10, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Dec 10, 2022 10:15 PM
- ↪︎ When to “address” “technical debt”? | Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programmers
- ↪︎ This is going to become more important…
Mapped: Countries With the Highest Flood Risk
- ↪︎ This interactive graphic shows a breakdown of how average Americans spend their money, and how expenses vary across generations.
How Do Americans Spend Their Money, By Generation?
- ↪︎ Add color gradients and drop shadows to your SwiftUI views.
SwiftUI gradients and shadow styles
- ↪︎ Xcode 14 can finally automatically generate all of the app icon sizes for you.
Xcode 14 Single Size App Icon
- ↪︎ This is awesome.
Weird Old Book Finder
- ↪︎ Ever wonder what's most active on Wikipedia?
Links for December 9, 2022
Posted on Friday, Dec 9, 2022 11:04 PM
Links for December 8, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Dec 8, 2022 5:48 AM
Links for December 7, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 7, 2022 5:50 PM
- ↪︎ The James Webb observatory has sparked a new era in astronomy
How JWST Is Changing Our View of the Universe
- ↪︎ Transamerica Pyramid at 50: San Francisco Icon Enters a New Era With $400M Redevelopment
Links for December 6, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Dec 6, 2022 4:00 PM
Links for December 3, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Dec 3, 2022 5:24 AM
- ↪︎ Collectively, worldwide billionaire wealth is nearly $12 trillion. This map breaks down where these 3,311 billionaires live around the globe.
Mapped: The World’s Billionaire Population, by Country
- ↪︎ SwiftUI ViewThatFits makes it easier to build adaptive layouts.
SwiftUI View That Fits
- ↪︎ Virtualisation on Apple silicon Macs: 5 Hypervisors and virtualisation
- ↪︎ Painting the fruitfulness of Autumn/Fall 2
- ↪︎ Why Ventura’s Stage Manager is so important
- ↪︎ The Bridge House / Vallely Architecture
Links for December 1, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Dec 1, 2022 9:50 PM
- ↪︎ The Computer History Museum and Adobe have released the original source code to PostScript.
PostScript: A Digital Printing Press - CHM
Links for November 28, 2022
Posted on Monday, Nov 28, 2022 4:48 PM
Links for November 27, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Nov 27, 2022 5:46 AM
- ↪︎ Xcode Multiplatform App Targets
- ↪︎ Saving Images in Core Data
- ↪︎ Combining opaque return types with primary associated types
- ↪︎ Simple Universal Modem Helps Save And Load Data From Tape
- ↪︎ Growing a mango tree from a seed, a year-long time-lapse
- ↪︎ SwiftUI zIndex: Everything you need to know
- ↪︎ 10 Drawings That Changed Architecture
- ↪︎ How to create Rounded Corners Button in UIKit
- ↪︎ SortComparator and SortDescriptor
- ↪︎ What's New in Xcode 14 Previews
- ↪︎ Still Life History: Fish
- ↪︎ Impressionist painting in Britain: 5 Elizabeth Forbes
- ↪︎ Can particles really be in two places at the same time?
- ↪︎ How to get index and value from for loop in Swift
- ↪︎ For loop in SwiftUI using ForEach
- ↪︎ Growth of renewables puts them on par with nuclear in US
- ↪︎ Mid Century Brutalism?
- ↪︎ The cost of war damage to Ukraine's buildings and infrastructure has reached $127 billion
- ↪︎ 10 architectural facades that stood out this week
- ↪︎ Cabin Fairy Town: Island, Jungle, Cabin
- ↪︎ On the disappearance of American starter homes
Links for November 25, 2022
Posted on Friday, Nov 25, 2022 6:43 PM
Links for November 23, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 23, 2022 2:46 AM
- ↪︎ How to make SwiftUI button with buttonStyle expand to full width
- ↪︎ Touch ID on a Mac desktop, deconstructed
- ↪︎ Disk encryption, FileVault and hardware encryption
- ↪︎ Blur in paintings: 2 depth and movement
- ↪︎ This 16mm film is a wonderful trip thru 1969 Disneyland
- ↪︎ The Lexicon Origins of People of Color
- ↪︎ Spirited - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ How To Create Custom UICollectionViewListCell Using SwiftUI
- ↪︎ SwiftUI AnyLayout - smooth transitions between layout types
- ↪︎ Custom Layout in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ The Visions of Octavia Butler
- ↪︎ "Brutalism was the Greatest Architectural Movement in History. Change My Mind."
- ↪︎ Innovation in Sustainability is Driving Green Building Trends in the Construction Industry
- ↪︎ Suspension House / Fougeron Architecture
Links for November 22, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 22, 2022 3:57 PM
- ↪︎ Alternate App Icon Configuration in Xcode
- ↪︎ @ViewBuilder usage explained with code examples
- ↪︎ How to save enum in UserDefaults using Swift
- ↪︎ Two atomic clocks have been quantum entangled for the first time
- ↪︎ How Einstein Arrived at His Theory of General Relativity
- ↪︎ Movable Type: The Buddhists Were First
- ↪︎ Koichi Takada Architects’ Latest Tower Is Creating Major Waves on Australia’s Golden Coast
Links for November 20, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Nov 20, 2022 1:00 AM
Links for November 15, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 15, 2022 3:51 PM
Links for November 14, 2022
Posted on Monday, Nov 14, 2022 3:38 PM
- ↪︎ Buddha's approach to making friends
- ↪︎ Teaching Black Perspectives
- ↪︎ Researchers show off iPhone and iPad brain-control tech in accessibility breakthrough
- ↪︎ How to launch iPhone simulator with arguments
- ↪︎ Embracing Core Data in SwiftUI
Embracing Core Data In Swiftui
- ↪︎ Using The Proxy Pattern In Swift 5
- ↪︎ SwiftUI AnyLayout: Changing Layout with HStack and VStack
- ↪︎ Debirdify - Find your Twitter friends on Mastodon
- ↪︎ Ocean Beach
Links for November 13, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Nov 13, 2022 4:23 PM
- ↪︎ Sharing cross-platform code in SwiftUI apps
- ↪︎ Automatically assign milestones with GitHub Actions
- ↪︎ Supporting universal links in a SwiftUI application
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Progress View
- ↪︎ How to change a navigation bar color in SwiftUI on iOS 16
- ↪︎ Loop n times in Swift
- ↪︎ The world has recently become less democratic
- ↪︎ I need a house in the woods.
Analog House / Olson Kundig + Faulkner Architects
- ↪︎ Holy gorgeous kitchens, Batman.
15 Open Kitchens That Connect the Inside With the Outside
- ↪︎ The power of Compositional Layout
- ↪︎ How to Use SwiftUI Gauge and Create Custom Gauge Styles
- ↪︎ Pitfall of Nested ObservableObject
Links for November 10, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Nov 10, 2022 6:28 PM
Links for November 9, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 9, 2022 5:07 AM
Links for November 6, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Nov 6, 2022 4:32 PM
- ↪︎ Stranger Things – Season 4
- ↪︎ Server Guides Now on Swift.org
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Gauge
- ↪︎ In photos: Journey to the center of a quantum computer
- ↪︎ Async Composable Architecture
- ↪︎ Host and Automate your DocC documentation
- ↪︎ Fascinating new time lapse of Kilauea Volcano from Big Island of Hawaii
- ↪︎ Perforated Metal Panels Cover The Exterior Of This Apartment Building In Brazil
- ↪︎ The 17-minute video describes the bizarre Cicada 3301 mystery
- ↪︎ Mariposa Garden House / Renée del Gaudio
- ↪︎ Tim Cook, Jony Ive, and Laurene Powell Jobs talk Steve Jobs's legacy, Tesla design, and much more
- ↪︎ Replacing if let in Swift 5.7
- ↪︎ Memory management in Combine
- ↪︎ The Many Capabilities of Proxy Icons
- ↪︎ IMAP is such a pain to implement. Glad someone did this 😊
Announcing SwiftNIO IMAP
- ↪︎ The Hunt For A Rare Version Of IBM’s OS/2
Links for November 3, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Nov 3, 2022 11:50 PM
- ↪︎ Maui Beach Erosion
- ↪︎ Conditional layouts in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Mastering grid layout in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ How to get notification userInfo at launch
- ↪︎ Well that’s innovative!
Solving mazes with spring kinematics
- ↪︎ Getting started with the SwiftUI NavigationSplitView
- ↪︎ Full scope of gun deaths in the U.S.
- ↪︎ Where restaurant chains dominate
- ↪︎ A Beginner's Guide to NavigationSplitView in SwiftUI for iOS 16
- ↪︎ How to Encode Null Using JSONEncoder?
- ↪︎ Holy wow.
Incredible artist simultaneously draws six portraits, upside down, with her hands and feet
- ↪︎ LOL. I love this.
Pregnant woman once again ticketed for driving in a Texas HOV lane
- ↪︎ Now this is a GREAT use case for AR.
AR Glasses Allow Deaf People to “See” Conversations
Links for November 2, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 2, 2022 11:12 PM
- ↪︎ Good documentary about the impact tourism has on local communities.
The Last Tourist
- ↪︎ Make your SwiftUI view modifiers safer
- ↪︎ Please compost me.
Human remains can legally now be used as compost in California
- ↪︎ Type Safety with Enums
Links for October 31, 2022
Posted on Monday, Oct 31, 2022 2:17 AM
- ↪︎ When implementing App Shortcuts with App Intents, it can be a bit daunting to localize everything.
Below is a small inventory of each String, and how to translate them. But first…
The big picture
After wandering the net without finding anything that worked, I reached out to Andrea Gottardo who
Localizing App Shortcuts with App Intents
- ↪︎ Well, that’s just clean and gorgeous. I love the surf board look of the roof.
Edgewater Beach House | Bialosky | Archinect
- ↪︎ @AppStorage is a property wrapper for UserDefaults, provided by SwiftUI framework. It is very simple to use, but in practice, some simple things are not obvious.
AppStorage, and observing a Binding
- ↪︎ Someone complained that putting Swift in the OS has only made things worse for developers. That's valid, but misses the point.
Swift was always going to be part of the OS
Links for September 12, 2022
Posted on Monday, Sep 12, 2022 2:16 AM
Links for September 9, 2022
Posted on Friday, Sep 9, 2022 5:23 AM
Links for August 27, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Aug 27, 2022 4:16 PM
- ↪︎ Do Spiders Dream of Electric Webs?
Spiders show signs of REM-like activity, raising the question: Do they dream?
- ↪︎ E. Bryant Crutchfield, inventor of the Trapper Keeper, RIP
- ↪︎ Behind the glassy façade of Apple’s newest London store lies an AR art wonderland
- ↪︎ Apple Brompton Road arrives at Knightsbridge Estate
- ↪︎ Comparing Gun Laws and Gun-Related Deaths Across America
- ↪︎ Timeline: The Domestication of Animals
- ↪︎ Grand 1910 Bay Area Residence, Once Home to CA Supreme Court Justice, Listed For Sale
- ↪︎ How to use popover in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ How to select in List in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ How to Use the SwiftUI PhotosPicker
- ↪︎ Eager Grids with SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Bottom sheet API in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Some keyword in Swift: Opaque types explained with code examples
- ↪︎ Saving Passwords in the Keychain in Swift
Links for August 23, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Aug 23, 2022 3:04 AM
Links for August 20, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Aug 20, 2022 1:33 AM
Links for August 17, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 17, 2022 5:39 AM
Links for August 10, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 4:58 AM
- ↪︎ Simulating A Moving Location In iOS
- ↪︎ How to add a Diagnostic Mode using Settings.bundle and SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Thunderbolt 3 vs. USB 3: Which One Fits Your Needs
- ↪︎ Simple and clean. I always love the combination of wood and concrete.
House in Cacia / BAU.UAU Arquitectura
- ↪︎ The Building That Moved: How Did They Move an 11,000-Ton Telephone Exchange Without Suspending Its Operations?
- ↪︎ Hide keyboard when scrolling in SwiftUI with scrollDismissesKeyboard
- ↪︎ Airbnb Swift style guide on iOS Dev Tools
Links for August 9, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Aug 9, 2022 4:24 AM
- ↪︎ Using .allSatisfy in Swift
- ↪︎ Everyone loves grass covered houses, or is it just me?
SHIROIYA Hotel / Sou Fujimoto Architects
Links for August 7, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Aug 7, 2022 11:44 PM
- ↪︎ Is this rare Apple computer up for auction a Woz-built original? We asked Woz himself
- ↪︎ Macintosh System 6 Simulator for @playdate!
System 6 Pocket - A Classic Macintosh "Simulator"
Links for August 5, 2022
Posted on Friday, Aug 5, 2022 10:17 PM
Links for August 1, 2022
Posted on Monday, Aug 1, 2022 2:33 AM
- ↪︎ Backblaze’s yearly hard drive life expectancy report
- ↪︎ Illegally placed concrete blocks have taken over public parking in Seattle.
- ↪︎ Empty school buses as a representation of student lives lost
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Canvas, Path, Shape, and View
- ↪︎ Foster + Partners-designed Brompton Road Apple store debuts the tech giant's new focus on AR
- ↪︎ BIG and Barcode complete cantilevering residential building on Amsterdam waterfront
- ↪︎ Apple Brompton Road store opening: A 360-degree video tour
- ↪︎ Play procedurally generated ambient music while you work
- ↪︎ Nuclear energy is clean
- ↪︎ Atari 2600 Field Service Manual
Links for July 30, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Jul 30, 2022 12:20 AM
Links for July 29, 2022
Posted on Friday, Jul 29, 2022 11:55 PM
- ↪︎ Neat use of a material in a non-traditional place.
Clay Roof Tiles Were Used For The Interior Design Of This Coffee Shop In Mexico
- ↪︎ Pizza Exchange Rate
- ↪︎ Uncompressing Folders in Swift
- ↪︎ It’s perfect.
Insanely detailed VR simulation of a Kmart
- ↪︎ Building an Accessible Custom Tab Bar
- ↪︎ Overloading & Creating New Operators In Swift 5
- ↪︎ I love the exterior of this building (and the interior is pretty sweet too)
Orange Village / Koffi & Diabaté Architectes
- ↪︎ Using ImageRenderer to Convert SwiftUI Views into Images
Links for July 23, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Jul 23, 2022 4:50 AM
- ↪︎ The Overthrow of Hawaii
- ↪︎ SwiftUI ImageRenderer: How to Create PDF Documents
- ↪︎ A Boy And His Atom is the world's smallest movie
- ↪︎ Active shooter endings
- ↪︎ Generics in Swift explained with code examples
- ↪︎ Interactive article explaining how a mechanical watch works. Beautiful.
Mechanical Watch – Bartosz Ciechanowski
Links for July 22, 2022
Posted on Friday, Jul 22, 2022 7:35 PM
Links for July 21, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Jul 21, 2022 1:09 AM
Links for July 19, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Jul 19, 2022 6:06 PM
- ↪︎ Bring your driver to iPad with DriverKit
- ↪︎ No surprise.
Americans’ Confidence In Media Falls To Record Lows, Poll Finds
- ↪︎ I have no complaints, but I guess I’m the target market.
How ‘Stranger Things’ is fueling an obsession with the 1980s—and why this nostalgia is unique
- ↪︎ Chris Brenchley, a meteorologist in Honolulu, said wave height was "the largest it’s been in several decades”
Big Waves in Hawaii Partly Attributed to Rising Sea Levels
- ↪︎ Light & Magic - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Shrinking middle-class
- ↪︎ How iOS 16 makes your app launch faster
- ↪︎ California high-speed rail project secures critical $4.2B for Central Valley line
- ↪︎ You must be kidding me.
A billion pounds of California almonds are stranded at facilities
- ↪︎ No.
Can We Eat Buildings? Thoughts About Edible Buildings Made of Earth
- ↪︎ Vantem is Building Cost-Effective Net Zero Housing
- ↪︎ 170th Anniversary of Antoni Gaudí, an Icon of Modernist Architecture in Barcelona
Links for July 18, 2022
Posted on Monday, Jul 18, 2022 4:25 AM
- ↪︎ The Slave Port of Bimbia
- ↪︎ CP/M is really open-source now
- ↪︎ How virtualization is important to the future of macOS – The Eclectic Light Company
- ↪︎ Turns out quicksand is a real thing we should be worried about. 😜
Once again, the Millennium Tower is sinking and tilting faster than before | Boing Boing
Links for July 17, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Jul 17, 2022 11:31 PM
- ↪︎ I'm ready. Bring it.
New COVID Vaccines Will be Ready This Fall. America Won’t. - The Atlantic
- ↪︎ How to add swipe actions to Collection View
- ↪︎ How to create a list with Compositional Layout
- ↪︎ Cool book of old school car renderings
- ↪︎ Impressionist painting in Britain: 4 Philip Wilson Steer
- ↪︎ Impressionist painting in Britain: 3 The New English Art Club
- ↪︎ If you want to try out the beta of macOS Ventura, but don't have a spare disk, use the free UTM to create a virtual machine.
Install macOS Ventura Beta in a Virtual Machine on an M1 or M2 Mac with UTM - The Mac Security Blog
- ↪︎ The Facade Design Pattern In Swift
- ↪︎ Background tasks in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ How Frank Lloyd Wright’s Son Invented Lincoln Logs, “America’s National Toy” (1916)
- ↪︎ How Pixar’s Movement Animation Became So Realistic: The Technological Breakthroughs Behind the Animation
- ↪︎ SNES Manual Archive
- ↪︎ A Dive into Ray Tracing Performance on the Apple M1
- ↪︎ The Evolution of Smalltalk from Smalltalk-72 through Squeak
- ↪︎ “Columbo” shows the benefits of asking just one more thing
Links for July 15, 2022
Posted on Friday, Jul 15, 2022 5:41 AM
Links for July 8, 2022
Posted on Friday, Jul 8, 2022 4:56 AM
- ↪︎ Thoughts on Swift and Objective-C
- ↪︎ New if let shorthand for optional binding
- ↪︎ How to change status bar color in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Upscaling The Sierras
- ↪︎ How Does NTP Work?
- ↪︎ Christine McVie Releases Orchestral 'Songbird' and discusses Fleetwood Mac's Future
- ↪︎ A Jumble Of Unique Balcony Shapes Cover This Building's Exterior
- ↪︎ Formatting in UI
- ↪︎ Electricity Use Would Surge under California’s New Climate Plan
- ↪︎ Santa Clara among 16 Cities Announced as Hosts for 2026 World Cup
- ↪︎ An incomplete list of skills senior engineers need, beyond coding
- ↪︎ Explainer: WindowServer
- ↪︎ Shipwrecks in paintings 2
- ↪︎ Virtualisation on Apple silicon Macs: 1 How well does it work?
- ↪︎ Francisco Goya: 7 Gathering darkness
- ↪︎ 5 Essential Qualities Of A Mindful Leader
- ↪︎ Good overview of SwiftUI changes for macOS
SwiftUI for Mac 2022
- ↪︎ How to use NSPersistentCloudKitContainer
- ↪︎ The Unloved Freeway: A Closer Look
- ↪︎ Stranger Things - Season 4: Behind the Running Up That Hill Scene
- ↪︎ Stranger Things - Season 4: The Duffer Brothers Break Down the Demogorgon Fight
Links for July 5, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Jul 5, 2022 10:51 PM
- ↪︎ Explore how architects are incorporating surrounding water landscapes in their interior designs.
Tide Side: 6 Coastal Designs That Use Water as an Architectural Element
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Renderers and Their Tricks
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Stack Custom Center Alignment
- ↪︎ Xcode 13 adds column breakpoints which work like a more granular version of line breakpoints.
Xcode Column Breakpoints
- ↪︎ Juneteenth Is a Federal Holiday, but in Most States It’s Still Not a Day Off
- ↪︎ Can you back up iCloud documents?
- ↪︎ Paintings of Paul Signac 11: The Twenties
- ↪︎ How to create multiline TextField in SwiftUI
Links for July 4, 2022
Posted on Monday, Jul 4, 2022 6:04 AM
Links for June 29, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2022 1:32 AM
Links for June 20, 2022
Posted on Monday, Jun 20, 2022 4:23 PM
- ↪︎ Big headed Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!
- ↪︎ Palo Alto Junior Museum and Zoo
- ↪︎ How to use UICalendarView in iOS
- ↪︎ Create a mac menu bar app in SwiftUI with MenuBarExtra
- ↪︎ ‘Minority Report’ Tried to Warn Us About Technology
- ↪︎ Mastering NavigationStack in SwiftUI. Navigator Pattern.
- ↪︎ Announcing the Language Workgroup
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Grid - The complete Guide
- ↪︎ White Christian Nationalism ‘Is a Fundamental Threat to Democracy’
- ↪︎ Swift Charts
Michael Tsai - Blog - Swift Charts
- ↪︎ Smaller Static Sites with New Formats
- ↪︎ How To Take Advantage of High Ceilings in Renovations
- ↪︎ Timber Tutorial: How to Build Taller with Wood
Links for June 13, 2022
Posted on Monday, Jun 13, 2022 1:49 AM
- ↪︎ The “well regulated” part is very important. We seem to have ignored it.
Don’t Forget the First Half of the Second Amendment — The Atlantic
Links for June 12, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Jun 12, 2022 6:34 PM
Links for June 11, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Jun 11, 2022 4:40 AM
- ↪︎ Gorgeous work.
A Side table not to be sidelined
- ↪︎ OMG LEGO ROLLERCOASTERS
LEGO reveals 10303 Loop Coaster as next Fairground Collection set
- ↪︎ Faux Dependency Injection for Storyboards
- ↪︎ iOS Crash Logs On iCloud Synced Devices
- ↪︎ What is new in SwiftUI after WWDC22
- ↪︎ WorldWideWeb, Part II • The Breakroom
- ↪︎ A Brief History of Ibiza’s Instant City
- ↪︎ Vahadivan House / Design Work Group
- ↪︎ How to code sign on CI along with Xcode auto sign
- ↪︎ How to communicate between SwiftUI and UIKit?
- ↪︎ Catching Bugs with Unit Tests
- ↪︎ Investigation of Nazi uranium could help stop modern nuclear smuggling
- ↪︎ This is what makes the quantum world so strange and confusing
- ↪︎ Wheel Mouse Support Under IRIX
- ↪︎ Francisco Goya: 8 Lives of Saints
- ↪︎ SGI admin Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- ↪︎ Understanding Foundation
- ↪︎ Explore advanced project configuration in Xcode
Links for June 10, 2022
Posted on Friday, Jun 10, 2022 7:32 PM
- ↪︎ Collection of syntax websites
- ↪︎ Advanced Debugging with Xcode and LLDB
- ↪︎ Sharing code between iOS and OS X
- ↪︎ Histomap: Visualizing the 4,000 Year History of Global Power
- ↪︎ Amazon is working on a live-action Blade Runner 2099 TV show from Ridley Scott
- ↪︎ How to allow multiple selection in List in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Reject: John Brett’s breathtaking view of Florence
Links for June 1, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Jun 1, 2022 2:15 AM
- ↪︎ Recovering the History of Black Showgirls in Las Vegas
- ↪︎ Writing Unit Tests for Edge Cases
- ↪︎ Why it might be impossible to build a practical quantum computer
- ↪︎ Bleached coral can suffer long-lasting reproductive effects.
Rumors of This Coral’s Survival Were Greatly Exaggerated
- ↪︎ Explainer: File systems
- ↪︎ Francisco Goya: 5 Four seasons
- ↪︎ But does it have WiFi?
A Black Roof and Central Courtyard Make This Chilean Cabin Vanish Into the Woods
- ↪︎ From Past to Future: The Urgency of "Green" in Architecture
- ↪︎ Managing multiple github SSH keys on mac
Links for May 31, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 2:03 AM
Links for May 30, 2022
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2022 6:18 PM
Links for May 21, 2022
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2022 10:28 PM
- ↪︎ By 2050, about 37% of all the world’s plastic waste is expected to end up in our lan
Here’s Where the World’s Plastic Waste Will End Up, by 2050
- ↪︎ @paulhetheringtonartist pays tribute to the inimitable Prince and the Revolution and we're all ticked pink. Or purple.
This is what it sounds like when doves cry - The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ This pipe is occupied by a pernicious piranha plant - The Brothers Brick
This pipe is occupied by a pernicious piranha plant
- ↪︎ Still Life History: 4 Rays, copper, and scythes in the 18th century
- ↪︎ Painting Within Tent: Albert Bierstadt in the Rockies 2
- ↪︎ The Seven Habits That Lead to Happiness in Old Age
- ↪︎ Your yearly reminder to prepare for wildfires.
Emergency Supply Kit
Links for May 20, 2022
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2022 4:49 AM
Links for May 19, 2022
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2022 9:38 PM
- ↪︎ Scale of atoms
- ↪︎ The Mayan Revivalâstyle residence is clad in ornamental concrete textile blocks cast in sand from the nearby Chevy Chase Canyon.
Frank Lloyd Wright Jr.’s Landmark 1926 Derby House Seeks $3.3M in Glendale, CA
Links for May 16, 2022
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2022 6:25 PM
Links for May 8, 2022
Posted on Sunday, May 8, 2022 4:06 PM
- ↪︎ Sour candies, shave ice, seasoned popcorn: These crunchy treats record the island chain’s many cultural influences.
What’s ‘crack seed,’ one of Hawai‘i’s favorite snacks?
- ↪︎ Christo’s final work revealed in Paris: L’Arc de Triomphe, Wrapped
Links for May 5, 2022
Posted on Thursday, May 5, 2022 1:47 AM
- ↪︎ Fediverse visualization
Links for May 4, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2022 2:44 PM
- ↪︎ Default Arguments and Label-based Overloading
- ↪︎ How Insulated Glass Changed Architecture
- ↪︎ Every Bridge For Every Situation
- ↪︎ Can mirrors and ceramic sand solve our energy problem?
- ↪︎ Assigning an expression to a variable with the same name
- ↪︎ Avoiding having to recompute values within SwiftUI views
- ↪︎ Tips On Prioritizing Tech Debt In A Healthy Way
- ↪︎ Someone’s been playing SimCity 2000.
MAD Architects proposes a tree-filled 'office of the future' in the heart of Hollywood
- ↪︎ There are many reasons I want to go back to NYC, and this is one of them.
Heatherwick's $260 million elevated river park 'Little Island' opens in NYC
- ↪︎ I would love an outdoor space like this.
KoningEizenberg, Leers Weinzapfel, and Wittman Estes among 2021 AIA Housing Award recipients
Links for May 1, 2022
Posted on Sunday, May 1, 2022 7:25 PM
Links for April 30, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Apr 30, 2022 6:37 AM
- ↪︎ Environment Objects and SwiftUI Styles
- ↪︎ A Vim Guide For Experts
- ↪︎ “Foil” UserDefaults Property Wrapper
- ↪︎ The Prime: Proposed Shenzhen Development Would Bring Home, Work, and Shopping All Under One Roof
- ↪︎ Tetrahedron Treehouse Peeks Out of the Trees Like the Prow of a Ship
- ↪︎ The Pixar Story: The Letter of a lifetime That Started Everything With Alvy Ray Smith
- ↪︎ DNA Jumps Between Animal Species. No One Knows How Often.
- ↪︎ Code in ARM Assembly: Registers explained
- ↪︎ Rebirth: Changing to oils
- ↪︎ The Myth of a Majority-Minority America
- ↪︎ You Probably Don’t Remember the Internet
- ↪︎ How to make simple async URLSession in Swift
- ↪︎ Unit testing Swift code that uses async/await
- ↪︎ The Magic of the Beach Boys’ Harmonies
- ↪︎ The Fatiguing Effects of Camera Use in Virtual Meetings
The fatiguing effects of camera use in virtual meetings: A within-person field experiment.
- ↪︎ Reducing sugar in packaged foods can prevent disease in millions
- ↪︎ Basic cryptography - the Vigenere cipher
- ↪︎ The Story of Maxis Software
Links for April 28, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Apr 28, 2022 8:02 PM
- ↪︎ New atomic clock loses only one second every 300 billion years
- ↪︎ The Life of MS-DOS
- ↪︎ This article attempts to resolve some of the most common misconceptions around IPv6.
IPv4 vs. IPv6 FAQ
- ↪︎ Deleting your app from the iOS simulator during UI tests
- ↪︎ 1500 Archers on a 28.8: Network Programming in Age of Empires and Beyond
- ↪︎ This review of the Mac Studio is astounding. It really is a desktop supercomputer.
2022 Mac Studio (20-core M1 Ultra) Review
- ↪︎ Frames in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Swift actors tutorial - a beginner's guide to thread safe concurrency
- ↪︎ Parkinson's is the world's fastest-growing neurological disorder.
Links for April 22, 2022
Posted on Friday, Apr 22, 2022 3:26 PM
Links for April 19, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 19, 2022 2:49 AM
Links for April 18, 2022
Posted on Monday, Apr 18, 2022 3:45 AM
- ↪︎ Using the ViewBuilder Attribute to Implement SwiftUI Views in Methods
- ↪︎ When Atari shipped UNIX: 1992's Atari System V
- ↪︎ Why Do Wes Anderson Movies Look Like That?
- ↪︎ How Do Algorithms Become Biased?
- ↪︎ 28 different potato dishes from around the world
- ↪︎ Hold up! We want to talk to you about your wagon's extended warranty!
- ↪︎ Introducing Plot Components: A new way to build HTML pages using Swift
- ↪︎ Creating Enums with Custom Raw Type in Swift
- ↪︎ How Does a Quantum Computer Work?
- ↪︎ Virtual Reality History
- ↪︎ How to use subscript in Swift
- ↪︎ How is gold made? The mysterious cosmic origins of heavy elements
- ↪︎ The Big Dipper
- ↪︎ Australia Declares Koalas an Endangered Species
- ↪︎ Inked Mummies, Linking Tattoo Artists With Their Ancestors
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Introspect
Links for April 15, 2022
Posted on Friday, Apr 15, 2022 5:49 PM
Links for April 14, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Apr 14, 2022 5:51 PM
- ↪︎ Making the Macintosh
- ↪︎ Wie sähe der Macintosh im Jahr 2015 aus? CURVED/labs begibt sich auf Zeitreise und präsentiert eine Hommage an die iKone.
CURVED/labs: Mac to the Future - ein Macintosh-Facelif
Links for April 10, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 9:28 PM
Links for April 8, 2022
Posted on Friday, Apr 8, 2022 11:07 PM
- ↪︎ New approach to formatters in iOS 15
- ↪︎ Plastic is killing our planet. Will the consumer packaged goods industry step up?
- ↪︎ La Brea Tar Pits overhaul: Los Angeles County begins environmental review ahead of Weiss/Manfredi's redesign
- ↪︎ A Collection Of Bamboo Treehouses Was Designed For This Holiday Resort
- ↪︎ Queen Liliʻuokalani and the overthrow of Hawaii
- ↪︎ How to short-circuit short-term thinking
- ↪︎ How does the brain interpret computer languages?
- ↪︎ Da Vinci’s 530-Year-Old Helicopter Design Adapted for a Working Drone
- ↪︎ Quickly displaying the Swift version that ships with Xcode
- ↪︎ Every SwiftUI Environment Value explained
- ↪︎ How to effectively refactor MVC code and add unit tests
- ↪︎ Inside California's inaccurate water forecasts
- ↪︎ Utopian Control: Company Towns
- ↪︎ High Brick House / studiomiti
High Brick House / studiomiti
- ↪︎ Combining protocols in Swift
- ↪︎ How to use Label in SwiftUI custom view
- ↪︎ Mastering List in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ How to parse large JSON Dictionary in Swift
- ↪︎ Writing testable code when using SwiftUI
- ↪︎ With Swift 5.5 new concurrency syntax, many frameworks have been updated. This post cover the basic URLSession operations.
URLSession with new async/await
Links for February 13, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Feb 13, 2022 10:49 PM
Links for February 11, 2022
Posted on Friday, Feb 11, 2022 2:30 AM
Links for February 10, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Feb 10, 2022 3:38 AM
- ↪︎ Underused and Overused GCD Patterns
- ↪︎ This looks like a fun project!
Mini Hygrometer Packs E-Paper Display
- ↪︎ Profiling binary size on iOS using Bloaty
- ↪︎ The Dome Cluster House from 1982
- ↪︎ Good thoughts on cars, and how they affect urban design.
When 5% of the United States is Covered By Parking Lots, How Do We Redesign our Cities?
- ↪︎ Structured Concurrency in Swift 5.5
Links for February 7, 2022
Posted on Monday, Feb 7, 2022 4:05 PM
Links for February 6, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Feb 6, 2022 7:12 PM
- ↪︎ Gut microbe linked to depression in large health study
- ↪︎ Core allocation in M1 chips
- ↪︎ How to pop multiple level with NavigationView and NavigationLink in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Memory management when using async/await in Swift
- ↪︎ Neo Geo Genesis 1 1/2: The Alpha 68K-V
- ↪︎ 12 Black Architects Making History Today
Links for February 1, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Feb 1, 2022 8:46 PM
Links for January 31, 2022
Posted on Monday, Jan 31, 2022 1:42 AM
- ↪︎ Swift actors: How do they work, and what kinds of problems do they solve?
- ↪︎ Good knights in paintings 2
- ↪︎ Central Park Will Become a Hub for Climate Research
- ↪︎ Swift Foundation Formatter Improvements
- ↪︎ Russia Has Been Warning About Ukraine for Decades. The West Should Have Listened
- ↪︎ The First American Cookbook: Sample Recipes from American Cookery (1796)
- ↪︎ Good port about remote working. My biggest concern is when a group is in a room together and some people are remote - putting everyone on equal footing is tough.
Treat everyone as remote
- ↪︎ Nice review of Rush’s 2112 from a high school student (who would apparently be in their 30s now)
Rush 2112 - The Last Star In The Sky
Links for January 29, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Jan 29, 2022 7:06 PM
- ↪︎ Automatically retrying an asynchronous Swift Task
- ↪︎ Excellent article with a ton of chip-making history.
The Intel Split
- ↪︎ This musician plays an electric bass guitar with a bow and it's wonderful
- ↪︎ I have a thing for floating parks.
Heatherwick Studio designs floating parkland pier for Seoul
Links for January 27, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Jan 27, 2022 1:17 AM
Links for January 26, 2022
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 26, 2022 4:12 PM
- ↪︎ Hawaii volunteer program lets you give back on vacation (and offers free hotel nights)
- ↪︎ I’m sure other people have said this, but this would be horrible for law enforcement.
BMW’s Color-Changing Electric Car Goes from Black to White Using E Ink
- ↪︎ I told my wife I should hang onto all of mine! 😜
New Study Suggests LEGO Bricks May Be More Valuable Than Gold
- ↪︎ Watch a bonobo and Peter Gabriel make music together
- ↪︎ Swift Package Collections
- ↪︎ The computer graphics pioneer goes deep on RGBA.
VFX Artifacts: The alpha channel and Alvy Ray Smith
Links for January 24, 2022
Posted on Monday, Jan 24, 2022 5:53 PM
- ↪︎ I don’t even know what to say about this house
Amacueca House / CoA arquitectura + Departamento de Arquitectura | ArchDaily
Links for January 14, 2022
Posted on Friday, Jan 14, 2022 11:17 PM
Links for January 11, 2022
Posted on Tuesday, Jan 11, 2022 2:27 AM
- ↪︎ Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort Among First to Offer Room Keys in Apple Wallet
- ↪︎ “Dramatic increases in space collisions" are expected in a few years, a former NASA administrator told U.S. lawmakers
Space Junk Could Be Creating No-Go Zones for Satellites
- ↪︎ San Francisco’s Conservatory of Flowers
Fire In The Dome: A Closer Look
Links for January 6, 2022
Posted on Thursday, Jan 6, 2022 4:49 PM
Links for January 2, 2022
Posted on Sunday, Jan 2, 2022 7:06 AM
- ↪︎ Technical Details: An Architect's Guide to Brick Bonds and Patterns
- ↪︎ Using Combine’s share operator to avoid duplicate work
- ↪︎ Underwater video of flamingos eating looks like a Pixar movie
- ↪︎ The Loss of an Icon: A Closer Look
- ↪︎ Synchronization is always one of the hardest problems.
Michael Tsai - Blog - iCloudCoreDataStarter and Temporary IDs Bug
Links for January 1, 2022
Posted on Saturday, Jan 1, 2022 6:15 AM
- ↪︎ If you were wondering, this is what a school looks like in the richest place in the US.
Menlo-Atherton High School STEM Building / LPA | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Building async and concurrent versions of forEach and map
- ↪︎ What Collective Narcissism Does to Society
- ↪︎ Magnesium: Where It Comes From And Why We’re Running Out
- ↪︎ Every default Mac wallpaper all condensed in a simple little website.
- ↪︎ Another Frank Lloyd Wright home hits the market in Michigan
- ↪︎ A Rare, Early Version of the King Arthur Legend Found & Translated
- ↪︎ Homer’s Odyssey in paintings: 3 Return to Ithaca
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Environment When Presenting Views
- ↪︎ Using count vs isEmpty to check whether a collection contains any elements
Links for December 29, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 29, 2021 8:19 PM
- ↪︎ What is Art Deco Architecture?
- ↪︎ Old, but very good: Big Ball of Mud
Big Ball of Mud
- ↪︎ What role do Tasks play within Swift’s concurrency system?
- ↪︎ Accessibility Smart Invert
- ↪︎ Comparing performance of M1 chips: 3 P and E
- ↪︎ Smaller Is Sometimes Better: Why Electronic Components Are So Tiny
- ↪︎ The Remodel Of A Mid-Century Modern House From 1962
Before + After – The Remodel Of A Mid-Century Modern House From 1962
- ↪︎ Old news: Scientists create 'super enzyme' that eats plastic bottles six times faster
Scientists create 'super enzyme' that eats plastic bottles six times faster
Links for December 27, 2021
Posted on Monday, Dec 27, 2021 12:09 AM
- ↪︎ Apple ][ F.A.Q.
About Apple ][ F.A.Q. - Apple II FAQ
Links for December 25, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Dec 25, 2021 2:34 AM
- ↪︎ GNUStep Workspace Manager 1.0! Years and years in the making!
GNUstep Workspace Manager: GWorkspace
Links for December 22, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 4:31 PM
- ↪︎ Characters in Painted Stories: 8 Tragedy, Orestes 2
- ↪︎ Write better code with Swift Algorithms
- ↪︎ Straight out of a Sci-Fi movie.
Brooks + Scarpa Reveals Proposal for Miami’s Aquatic Center and Park
- ↪︎ Fantastic combination of materials
J House / y0 Design Architect
- ↪︎ String Quartet Performs Billie Eilish’s bad guy
Links for December 17, 2021
Posted on Friday, Dec 17, 2021 6:36 AM
Links for December 15, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 7:14 PM
Links for November 2, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 2, 2021 1:21 AM
- ↪︎ These A+Award-winning studios are spearheaded by bold women who are taking the design world by the storm.
10 Female-Led Firms at the Forefront of Architecture
- ↪︎ There’s no reason for white people to feel bad. Those of us alive now didn’t do it. We CAN however make sure that the wrongs that our ancestors did are rectified. Because it was horrific.
Maybe White People Should Feel Bad
Links for October 25, 2021
Posted on Monday, Oct 25, 2021 12:04 AM
- ↪︎ Impressionist painting in Britain: 12 George Clausen
- ↪︎ New York City and State are elevating offshore wind farm investments
- ↪︎ Transplanting the Mac’s Central Processor: Gary Davidian and His 68000 Emulator
- ↪︎ I need about 1000 more hours everyday for things like this.
Raspberry Pi Officialy Announced Build HAT For Raspberry Pi
Links for October 24, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Oct 24, 2021 11:59 PM
- ↪︎ His early landscapes followed van Mander. He also expressed his love of Claude’s work, before composition dissolved into light and colour.
Landscape Composition: 7 Turner’s revolution
Links for October 21, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Oct 21, 2021 12:30 AM
- ↪︎ New brain maps could help the search for Alzheimer's treatments
- ↪︎ ASU's Dr. Maria Rosario Jackson is announced as President Biden's selection for NEA chair
- ↪︎ OOOH A literal Regex in Swift would be great.
Michael Tsai - Blog - Swift Declarative String Processing Pitch
- ↪︎ Reminds me of a city made in Townscaper
Majestic LEGO castle a true king needs and deserves - The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ The Largely Untold Story Of How One Guy In California Keeps The World’s Computers On The Right Timezone
- ↪︎ Impressionist painting in Britain: 9 Edward Stott
- ↪︎ Painting the surreal before Surrealism 2
- ↪︎ How to recover a Mac from a kernel panic
Links for October 20, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021 11:52 PM
Links for October 16, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Oct 16, 2021 11:08 PM
Links for October 15, 2021
Posted on Friday, Oct 15, 2021 1:35 AM
Links for October 14, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Oct 14, 2021 5:41 AM
- ↪︎ HEHE
Google says Fortnite’s in-app purchase swap was a breach of contract, sues Epic
- ↪︎ A bridge over bloodied waters
- ↪︎ Retro Computers From Paper
- ↪︎ U.S. Military Spending vs Other Top Countries
- ↪︎ Bay Ridge Gingerbread House
- ↪︎ This is so cool, I want things like this everywhere.
Vektor Kollektor Inspector
- ↪︎ Landscape Composition: 2 Beginnings
- ↪︎ Frida Kahlo: The Life of an Artist
- ↪︎ Vedanta Society's Old Temple
Links for October 12, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 12, 2021 3:56 AM
- ↪︎ HAHAHAHA I love it.
Mysterious Rock Formation Off the Coast of France Suddenly Takes Off Like a Speedboat
- ↪︎ This workplace is amazing.
Exotic Workplace Garden / Malinowski Design Urban & Landscape | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Advanced Environment propagation
- ↪︎ Black Women, Sanderson Farms, and the Strike for Better Conditions
- ↪︎ Wow I learned a lot in this post.
How to evenly distribute points on a sphere more effectively than the canonical Fibonacci Lattice | Extreme Learning
- ↪︎ This works surprisingly well.
I unclogged my sinuses using this technique
Links for October 11, 2021
Posted on Monday, Oct 11, 2021 1:32 AM
- ↪︎ I love tiny builds
Titanic ship on a tiny budget - The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
Links for October 9, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Oct 9, 2021 4:02 PM
- ↪︎ The Official Ted Lasso biscuit recipe
We tried the official 'Ted Lasso' biscuit recipe and it's a buttery delight — TODAY
- ↪︎ Ted Lasso Biscuits Get an Upgrade from Milk Bar’s Christina Tosi
Links for October 8, 2021
Posted on Friday, Oct 8, 2021 7:54 PM
Links for October 5, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 5, 2021 2:43 PM
- ↪︎ “I loved how he saw the world. The way he thought was profoundly beautiful.”
Jony Ive on What He Misses Most About Steve Jobs — The Wall Street Journal
Links for September 30, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Sep 30, 2021 3:03 AM
- ↪︎ /me starts tearing into his walls
Rare gold coins dug out of walls of French mansion sold for $1.2m — The Guardian (US/CA)
Links for September 25, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 4:39 PM
Links for September 23, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Sep 23, 2021 2:24 AM
Links for September 18, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Sep 18, 2021 10:27 PM
- ↪︎ In iOS 15 you can set limits on the minimum and maximum sizes of dynamic type.
Restricting Dynamic Type Sizes
- ↪︎ I have the Nintendo LEGO set (haven’t built it yet), but I might have to build this game boy afterwards
My Little Game Boy | The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ These should be more of a thing everywhere.
Banff Wildlife Crossings
- ↪︎ View masking in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Boy it would be hard to judge this. I’d be like “Everyone wins!!”
View images of the best shortlisted timber projects from the 2021 World Architecture Festival
- ↪︎ I love the Little Free Libraries - I had planned to make one when we bought a house, but there’s one in the neighborhood we moved into. Free movies is great too!
"Free Blockbuster" boxes let you drop off, or take, a VHS movie
- ↪︎ This fifth part of the Advanced SwiftUI Animations series will explore the Canvas view. Technically, it is not an animated view, but when combined with TimelineView from Part 4, it brings a lot of interesting possibilities, as shown in this digital rain example: I had to delay this article several weeks because the Canvas view ... Read more
Advanced SwiftUI Animations - Part 5: Canvas - The SwiftUI Lab
- ↪︎ Gorgeous drawings.
Mark Cuban just donated a trove of World Trade Center drawings to the Cooper Hewitt
- ↪︎ It is our responsibility. Period.
Afghanistan is Our Generation's MS St. Louis Moment | Time
- ↪︎ Beautiful wood and white walls combo
The Urban Courtyard Home / Sudaiva Studio | ArchDaily
Links for September 17, 2021
Posted on Friday, Sep 17, 2021 11:13 PM
Links for September 12, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Sep 12, 2021 10:05 PM
- ↪︎ Birth of BASIC
- ↪︎ RenderWare: The Engine that Powered an Era | Retrohistories - YouTube
- ↪︎ PalmOS on Raspberry Pi
- ↪︎ Yes please.
Are We Overdue for an Art Deco Revival? | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Glad I left that state. Geez.
Kentucky Lawmakers Scrap Statewide Mask Mandate In Schools
- ↪︎ Holy crap
1 in every 75 Tennesseans has COVID-19
- ↪︎ Anyone wishing to dine inside a Maui County restaurant must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination starting September 15, 2021.
Hawaii travel news: Maui to require vaccine proof to dine in restaurants
Links for September 11, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Sep 11, 2021 11:20 PM
Links for September 5, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Sep 5, 2021 10:21 PM
- ↪︎ I have no idea what I would do with this, but man I want it.
DevTerm Kit A04 series
- ↪︎ Someone hung some huge draperies on this place.
The Rossmore | Archillusion Design | Archinect
- ↪︎ Tax-to-GDP Ratio: Comparing Tax Systems Around the World
- ↪︎ @tobiarts.and.design gives us a peak at medieval skyscrapers
Medieval skyscrapers are the way to go
- ↪︎ The O’Scope Restoration
Links for September 4, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Sep 4, 2021 3:05 PM
- ↪︎ I can’t wait to see this
Foundation - the Art of VFX
Links for August 30, 2021
Posted on Monday, Aug 30, 2021 10:43 PM
- ↪︎ This is totally amazing! I really need one of those “build an 8bit computer”kits
Commander X16: A Dreamy 8 Bit Computer Comes Closer To Reality
- ↪︎ Fantastic
Gaudí’s Historic Casa Vicens Willl Host Two Lucky Airbnb Guests This Fall
- ↪︎ Every SwiftUI Environment Value explained
- ↪︎ Pretty sure the whole background must represent “Webex calls”
Cycle of Many, a 24-hour snapshot for a day in the life of Americans
- ↪︎ I love the internet
There's a Wikipedia page for "I've got your nose"
- ↪︎ Playdate Pulp: Zero to video game in 60 Seconds
- ↪︎ What We Know About Climate Change and Hurricanes
Links for August 29, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Aug 29, 2021 2:05 AM
- ↪︎ Apple introduces the News Partner Program
- ↪︎ I love the idea of the play date and can’t wait to get mine! This is a great read.
The Story of Playdate
- ↪︎ This Black-Owned Business Is Bringing Plant-Based 'Soul Food' to Black Communities
- ↪︎ Foster + Partners master plan for Atlanta’s Centennial Yards revealed
Links for August 28, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Aug 28, 2021 4:48 AM
- ↪︎ An early drawing of the Golden Gate Bridge showcases a radically different design
- ↪︎ The world's first fossil-free steel
- ↪︎ How about a house in a hill?
Locality, Legality, and Limiting Landscapes: The Story Behind Switzerland’s Villa Vals | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Mercator Misconceptions: Clever Map Shows the True Size of Countries
- ↪︎ Fantastic.
The pandemic slashed the West Coast’s emissions. Wildfires already reversed it.
- ↪︎ Why are hyperlinks blue?
- ↪︎ Cute.
Guilin Lebei Homestay Hotel / aoe | ArchDaily
Links for August 26, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Aug 26, 2021 4:05 AM
Links for August 25, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 25, 2021 8:05 PM
Links for August 22, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Aug 22, 2021 5:20 PM
- ↪︎ Multiracial people counted in the census
- ↪︎ Tons of details about the System 1!
Holding out for My Hero: The Sega System 1
- ↪︎ Video Killed the Radio Star.
Watch the First Two Hours of MTV's Inaugural Broadcast (August 1, 1981) | Open Culture
- ↪︎ Making SwiftUI Views Searchable
- ↪︎ Backporting new features with @_alwaysEmitIntoClient
- ↪︎ I dunno, makes me want to eat some pie.
Weathered Steel Appears To Be Woven On The Exterior Of This New Office Building
- ↪︎ Robert Johnson House
- ↪︎ Lighting and Visual Comfort Solutions in Residential Projects
- ↪︎ COVID cases surging in Hawaii
Links for August 21, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Aug 21, 2021 3:41 PM
Links for August 19, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Aug 19, 2021 1:59 PM
- ↪︎ How do you programmatically scroll a SwiftUI list to a specific item?
Scrolling With ScrollViewReader
- ↪︎ OOOOOH PRETTY
Vertical Wood Slats Cover This New Tourist Info Center In Portugal
- ↪︎ I may have already shared this but check it out anyway!
Little Island Park / Heatherwick Studio | ArchDaily
Links for August 16, 2021
Posted on Monday, Aug 16, 2021 6:40 PM
- ↪︎ My wife got me the "Sugar Rush 2112" Cereal box for my birthday. They have lots of other cool stuff too
Rush - Fantoons
- ↪︎ Defining dynamic colors in Swift
- ↪︎ I really wish I could justify the cost of a Vestaboard.
The Departure Board Edition
- ↪︎ This tower is literally just stairs. It’s neat.
A New Spiraling Lookout Tower Opens In Denmark
- ↪︎ Visualizing GitHub repos
- ↪︎ Testing Core Data In A Swift Package
- ↪︎ SwiftUI patterns evolution: view builders
- ↪︎ Sometimes I see buildings on here and I’m like “Surely that’s not real”. This is one of them
AL_A Reveals Design of World's First Magnetized Fusion Power Station | ArchDaily
Links for August 15, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Aug 15, 2021 11:59 PM
Links for August 13, 2021
Posted on Friday, Aug 13, 2021 2:51 AM
- ↪︎ Operating Systems: Timeline and Family Tree - over 800!
Operating Systems: Timeline and Family Tree
- ↪︎ I was led to believe there would be dragonflies.
Dragonfly House / Olson Kundig | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Simple and gorgeous
Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences / Diamond Schmitt Architects | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ I’m not a big fan of supercar styling generally, but this is WOW. And that color 👀
Aston Martin Valhalla is a next generation supercar
- ↪︎ Are there flaws in some ARM64 instructions?
- ↪︎ OOOOH I need to find something to use this on
Configuring SwiftUI Fetch Requests
- ↪︎ Cities Within Cities: Chinatown Around The World
- ↪︎ Elephant House Zoo Zurich
Elephant House Zoo Zürich / Markus Schietsch Architekten | ArchDaily
Links for August 11, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 11, 2021 3:12 PM
Links for August 8, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Aug 8, 2021 12:19 AM
Links for August 7, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Aug 7, 2021 11:55 PM
- ↪︎ World's first 3D-printed steel bridge opens in Amsterdam
- ↪︎ This is too cool.
New Detail Library Platform Allows You to Access 200+ Fully-Resolved Construction Details
- ↪︎ Nice list of changes in Shortcuts
The Changes to Shortcuts that Makes me Excited
- ↪︎ I had no idea holding down the globe key brings up an overlay with possible shortcuts in it.
The Globe Key and iPadOS 15
Links for August 6, 2021
Posted on Friday, Aug 6, 2021 1:15 AM
- ↪︎ Looks like the lighter version of an H.R. Geiger design
Maggie’s Leeds Centre / Heatherwick Studio | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Getting Started with the SPM Manifest file
Package.swift - Getting Started with the SPM Manifest file - Learning Swift
- ↪︎ I had no idea this was a thing!
Attaching property wrappers to function arguments
- ↪︎ How Swift runs an async executable – Ole Begemann
- ↪︎ We’re in another drought, and I have a feeling it’s not really going to end.
Map of drying reservoirs in the west
- ↪︎ Mac App Store: Embedding a Command Line tool using paths as arguments
- ↪︎ Throwing and asynchronous Swift properties
- ↪︎ I’m a bit behind on posting this. Such an influential and moving song.
Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" Turns 50
- ↪︎ How the Other Half Live: paintings of stately homes 1
- ↪︎ New Button styling in SwiftUI and iOS15
Meet the new Button styling
- ↪︎ *mops drool off the floor*
The Combination Of Stone And Wood Gives This Home A Rustic Modern Look
Links for August 1, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Aug 1, 2021 7:43 PM
- ↪︎ I can smell the fresh air through this photo.
Little House Big Shed / David Van Galen Architecture
- ↪︎ Made the year I was born.
Untitled, Computer Assisted Drawing | Brown, Paul | V&A Explore The Collections
- ↪︎ Deep Dive into Swift 5.5 Async/await Concurrency Model
- ↪︎ How to Share SwiftUI Code Using Swift Packages
- ↪︎ Stroking and filling a SwiftUI shape at the same time
Links for July 31, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 11:21 PM
- ↪︎ Gorgeous and serene
COVID-Induced Anxiety Gets a New Face in This Series of Wooden Waves Crashing in a Forest
Links for July 25, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 3:03 AM
- ↪︎ New York’s “Little Island” Uses Cutting-Edge Designs to Create a Natural Retreat
“Little Island” Uses Cutting-Edge Designs to Create a Natural Retreat
Links for July 22, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Jul 22, 2021 2:34 AM
- ↪︎ Anti-History is simply control - if they can change what your believe they can control what you think.
Marjorie Taylor Greene and Republican Anti-history - The Atlantic
- ↪︎ This is exactly what I want my workplace to look like.
Perch 2.0: Oak Shelter in the Woods / Mike Stone Architect | ArchDaily
Links for July 11, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jul 11, 2021 1:52 AM
- ↪︎ Open 3D Engine
- ↪︎ My wife said no, she can look at the pictures.
Carroll Alsop House by Frank Lloyd Wright
- ↪︎ UNESCO World Heritage Site Cloister Lorsch
- ↪︎ In Swift 5.5, the Swift Package Manager adds support for package collections
- ↪︎ I *LOVE* this house, and look at it every time I drive up 280
Settlement reached in the strange case of California's famous Flintstone House
- ↪︎ From just a bit back to looks real.
Take your seat on this enormous LEGO Emirates Airbus A380 that took more than ten months to design | The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ Lovecraft Country: Breaking Down the Breakdown of Chicago & Tulsa
- ↪︎ What is structured concurrency?
- ↪︎ Ridiculous.
Opioid-pushing Sackler family pays to get off the hook and gets to keep billions
- ↪︎ A little more about that tower in Greece
Foster + Partners unveils designs for Greece's tallest tower
- ↪︎ Wow. Have to drive down and see that in person.
Surf House Modern Home in Santa Cruz, California by Feldman… on Dwell
- ↪︎ A remembrance was held last week after the passing of Mickey Muennig, the architect who imbued California’s mystic coastline with organic, flowing architecture.
Big Sur Architect Mickey Muennig
- ↪︎ Coral Cells Grown in a Dish for the First Time
All Coral Cells Grown in a Dish for the First Time
- ↪︎ Our education system is in desperate need of reform.
Why We Need To Start Teaching History In Kindergarten
- ↪︎ $2,000 A Month Stimulus Checks Petitions Reach 3 Million Signatures
- ↪︎ The close up of this building is gorgeous.
foster and partners reveals the first green high-rise building in greece
- ↪︎ Sixty years of climate change warnings: the signs that were missed (and ignored)
Links for July 9, 2021
Posted on Friday, Jul 9, 2021 6:51 AM
Links for July 4, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jul 4, 2021 5:08 AM
- ↪︎ A man carves out an incredible home from the side of a mountain
Watch: A man carves out an incredible home from the side of a mountain
- ↪︎ Dismissing a SwiftUI modal or detail view
- ↪︎ Foundation
- ↪︎ People don’t know who LeVar Burton is?!
Who Is LeVar Burton? He's the Jeopardy! Host Frontrunner and So Much More
- ↪︎ Xcode DocC - Getting Started
- ↪︎ Code in ARM Assembly: Conditional loops
- ↪︎ Wow, this is striking.
Anansi the trickster and god of all knowledge comes to life in an astounding LEGO sculpture | The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ A Guide to Understanding Gender Identity and Pronouns : NPR
Links for July 3, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Jul 3, 2021 9:55 PM
- ↪︎ This church, obviously inspired by the aliens on The Muppet Show, is really cool.
St George Orthodox Church / Wallmakers | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Architecture in Mexico: Projects that Highlight the Sonora Territory | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ British landscape painting before Turner: 1800-1820
- ↪︎ TWENTY FIVE YEARS
25 Years of CSS
- ↪︎ This keeps me up at night.
Islands of Data
- ↪︎ Using AsyncImage in SwiftUI for Asynchronous Image Download
- ↪︎ Are World's Fairs a Thing of the Past?
- ↪︎ Making SwiftUI views refreshable
- ↪︎ Hawaii to eliminate pre-travel testing/quarantine for vaccinated
- ↪︎ In Memoriam John Crome: Revolt in the provinces 2
- ↪︎ Rebirth: The rise of narrative painting
- ↪︎ Well that’s fascinating.
Building a City from Scratch: The Story of Songdo, Korea | ArchDaily
Links for June 27, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jun 27, 2021 6:58 AM
- ↪︎ Someone forgot to antialias this
Edificio Riesco Leguia / ValdesHagemann | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ In iOS 15, Apple introduced a new modifier called searchable for SwiftUI. This allows developers to easily add a search bar in any list views.
Working with Searchable in SwiftUI for iOS 15
Links for June 26, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Jun 26, 2021 4:15 PM
- ↪︎ Illegal Fishing Is Devastating Kenya’s Sea Turtles
- ↪︎ It’s perfect.
Living atop the wave-worn coastal rocks | The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ Racism, duh
Segregation Is Increasing In America | Time
- ↪︎ I had a MiniDisc player, and it was excellent, especially for the time.
The Story of the MiniDisc, Sony's 1990s Audio Format That's Gone But Not Forgotten | Open Culture
- ↪︎ I’d never leave
Architectural Details: Henning Larsen’s Landscape Bridge in the Faroe Islands - Architizer Journal
- ↪︎ Apple's restored Tower Theatre opens in Downtown LA thanks to Foster + Partners
- ↪︎ The world needs more pedways
Safdie Architects' design for the ORCA mega-development in downtown Toronto finally clears a major hurdle
Links for June 24, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 6:07 AM
- ↪︎ Stunning.
Mirador House / RAMA estudio
- ↪︎ OMG
Watch: Firefighter catches child thrown from building
- ↪︎ Behold the Astronomicum Caesareum, "Perhaps the Most Beautiful Scientific Book Ever Printed” (1540)
- ↪︎ Still Life History: 5 The rise of Impressionism
- ↪︎ Corn has many uses that make modern life possible. This infographic breaks down U.S. corn usage in 2020.
The Uses of Corn: Industries Affected by High Corn Prices
- ↪︎ I firmly believe the world needs more Gondolas.
LA's proposed Dodger Stadium-Union Station gondola route revealed
- ↪︎ If we ever redo our downstairs floor (which is currently tile) I want this.
Colorful Terrazzo Floors Add A Playful Character To This Home's Interior
- ↪︎ This will be great for automated testing.
Xcode 12.5 Simulator: How to Record Videos and Animated GIFs
Links for June 23, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Jun 23, 2021 5:48 AM
- ↪︎ Neat node programming app for audio
Sponsor: Loopback from Rogue Amoeba
- ↪︎ MacPaw announces its own Apple Museum with 323 products, includes online exhibit
Links for June 19, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Jun 19, 2021 3:23 PM
- ↪︎ Goals.
City Oasis Apartments / K.A Studio | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Rehabilitation is an exciting opportunity to reimagine the shortcomings of Brutalist buildings, giving them a second chance in the public imagination.
Rehabilitating Brutalism: How Colossal Concrete Buildings Made Their Big Comeback
- ↪︎ Still Life ++ : paintings of the artist’s studio 1
Links for June 17, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Jun 17, 2021 2:44 AM
- ↪︎ What’s new in SwiftUI for iOS 15
- ↪︎ Apple Music to Release Juneteenth 2021 Freedom Songs, Featuring New Songs and Covers
- ↪︎ I’ve written only a very small amount of assembly, and it wasn’t very good - maybe this is a good reason to learn!
Code in Assembly for Apple Silicon with the AsmAttic app
- ↪︎ uh what
Kadokawa Culture Museum / Kengo Kuma & Associates + KAJIMA DESIGN
- ↪︎ Wavy Wavy Wavy
Meltcrete Building / Studio Ardete | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ SF Symbols is so handy, and there were a ton of improvements announced this year.
The Complete Guide to SF Symbols
- ↪︎ How to control safe area insets in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ What. I had no idea about either of these, and I’ve installed a lot of outlets. These will certainly be handy!
Power outlets have 2 hidden tools
- ↪︎ WandaVision, and the effects in the show were really good.
WandaVision: VFX Breakdown by RISE - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Nice dive into details of the macOS content caching server.
Inside the Content Caching server: performance and troubleshooting
- ↪︎ Simple, clean lines and gorgeous.
Tafel House | Stephen Moser Architect | Archinect
- ↪︎ I wish I could come up with a good reason to buy one of these 😊
Raspberry Pi Cellular Connection using Sixfab Core
Links for June 16, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Jun 16, 2021 3:22 AM
Links for June 14, 2021
Posted on Monday, Jun 14, 2021 3:41 AM
- ↪︎ What types of research are being undertaken to harness bamboo’s strengths and ameliorate its shortcomings?
The Future of Architecture: When Digital Technologies Meet Bamboo Construction
- ↪︎ For All Mankind is one of my favorite recent shows - fantastic production quality, great characters, and I love the “what if history was different” genre.
For All Mankind – Season 2: Jay Redd – Overall VFX Supervisor - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Oh no! I love the parrot fish. if you ever get a chance to snorkel in Hawaii you might see one - they have teeth! like one long one on the bottom and one on the top. And they’re cute.
Ayana Elizabeth Johnson: Why The Strange and Wonderful Parrot Fish Is In Trouble
- ↪︎ Every time I see “The Milkmaid” by Vermeer I’m stunned at how amazing it is. I need to paint more.
Something’s cooking: Paintings of the kitchen
- ↪︎ Groovy, I’m In Love.
Groovy, Fully Electric Volkswagen Bus Will Arrive in 2023
- ↪︎ SwiftUI patterns: view closures
- ↪︎ Brutalist houses. Stark.
Inside a Demolished Brutalist House: the Lincoln House | ArchDaily
Links for June 11, 2021
Posted on Friday, Jun 11, 2021 5:39 AM
- ↪︎ This is a great walkthrough! LLVM is really amazing technology.
Statically Recompiling NES Games into Native Executables with LLVM and Go
- ↪︎ Hotter oceans are putting coral reefs in peril worldwide. Scientists are warning that to save them, heat-trapping emissions must fall, and reefs will need more protection and restoration.
Fearing Their Kids Will Inherit Dead Coral Reefs, Scientists Are Urging Bold Action
- ↪︎ "I cannot overemphasize how mind-blowing this is for all of us. These trees have lived for thousands of years," said a scientist from Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
A Single Fire Killed At Least 10% Of The World's Giant Sequoias, Study Says
- ↪︎ To transition towards low-carbon energy systems we need low-cost energy storage. Battery costs have been falling quickly.
The price of batteries has declined by 97% in the last three decades
- ↪︎ I truly love the idea of taking the waste products from manufacturing processes - baby carrots are just ugly carrots ground down, sawdust becomes MDF, and potato parts become tater tots!
Tater Tots are tasty trash
- ↪︎ Google does not yet know the cost of the 10- to 30-year construction project.
Google’s 80-acre megacampus will take over a chunk of San Jose
- ↪︎ Wavy and orderly, very nice.
Westerschans 1B Apartments / Zoetmulder + Jeanne Dekkers Architectuur | ArchDaily
Links for June 6, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jun 6, 2021 6:29 AM
- ↪︎ A coalition of conservation groups have partnered with the state to add 30,000 milkweed plants in an attempt to restore the speciesâ population.
California’s Monarch Butterflies Are Down 99%. Can This Plant Help?
- ↪︎ i can’t even
Spokane, Wash. Middle School Gives Class Cotton Picking Assignment. Black Kids in the Class Are Like, 'Uh...No.'
Links for June 5, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Jun 5, 2021 2:04 AM
- ↪︎ A Swift developer’s WWDC dreams - 2021 edition
- ↪︎ More info about that Google development in San Jose
Google Gets Approval for Downtown West Campus Designed by SITELAB Urban Studio | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ A stunning building with a very sad outcome. If you are contemplating suicide, please seek help.
Solo Visitors No Longer Allowed on Heatherwick Studio's Vessel After Reopening | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ I have a love hate relationship with CoreData. I love the idea of an object store, love how much it does for me, and also hate it when I mess something up. This is a good article.
Core Data In Memory Store
Links for June 2, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Jun 2, 2021 2:08 AM
- ↪︎ The flexibility of enumerated is Swift is really amazing, and is one of the reasons I love it.
Avoiding problematic cases when using Swift enums
- ↪︎ As if I needed more stuff to print… here it is.
3D Print 18,000 Famous Sculptures, Statues & Artworks: Rodin’s Thinker, Michelangelo’s David & More | Open Culture
- ↪︎ More about the new Apple Store in Rome
Apple's new Pallazo store in Rome is a work of art | Wallpaper*
- ↪︎ This campus is massive
Google wins approval for 'Downtown West' mega campus in San Jose
- ↪︎ Yet another important thing I didn’t learn in school.
The 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre: Healing Historical Racial Trauma
- ↪︎ So many good ones
Xcode Keyboard Shortcuts
- ↪︎ Amazing preservation
Foster+Partners Converts a Palazzo in Rome into a New Apple Store | ArchDaily
Links for May 31, 2021
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2021 5:42 AM
- ↪︎ This song always has and will be relevant.
Revisiting Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On," and the Album That Opened R&B to Resistance: Revisited 50 Years Later | Open Culture
- ↪︎ Pretty old radios
Antique Radio & TV Gallery
- ↪︎ I have a very strong desire for a sauna in my backyard.
Sauna Construction Details: Examples of Small-Scale Wooden Architecture
Links for May 30, 2021
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2021 5:32 AM
- ↪︎ There’s something very simple, clean and beautiful about still life painting
Why paint a still life? 3 Therapy – The Eclectic Light Company
- ↪︎ There’s a lot of wow in here.
From Aalto to Eames: 7 Projects That Prove the Architectural Beauty of Plywood
- ↪︎ This one is nice, but I’m honestly not sure why I saved it.
Garden/House / MAMM DESIGN | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Nice simplicity
Winery in Kutjevo / Dva arhitekta | ArchDaily
Links for May 29, 2021
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2021 9:01 PM
- ↪︎ OOOOOH
Field Guide To Shipping Containers
- ↪︎ Fascinating
The Rules of Dozens of Sports Explained in Short Videos
- ↪︎ I love buildings in the shape of non-building things.
World's Largest Natural Marine Observatory Takes the Shape of a Whale | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Gorgeous arial shots.
Colorful Architecture: 7 Cities with Vibrant Colors Seen from Above | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ You’ve probably noticed by now that I like wavy roofs (and I can not lie)
Huanglong Waterfront Bamboo Pavilion / Atelier cnS + School of Architecture, South China University of Technology
- ↪︎ This is nuts.
Four Cellists Play Ravel’s “Bolero” on One Cello
- ↪︎ I don’t know how @howardnoakley manages to produce such detailed history on painting, but I’m sure glad he does.
Painting Within Tent: Marianne North’s plants of the world 2
Links for May 28, 2021
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2021 6:13 AM
- ↪︎ The History of Tattoos Gets Beautifully Documented in a New Book by Legendary Tattoo Artist Henk Schiffmacher (1730-1970)
- ↪︎ In 1955, epidemiologist Thomas Francis Jr. announced the results of a field trial of the polio vaccine that Jonas Salk had develop
‘The Last Time a Vaccine Saved America’
- ↪︎ I’m always a sucker for an A-Frame in the woods.
A Warm Wood Interior Welcomes Guests To This A-Frame Cabin
- ↪︎ Looks like something from the movie Oblivion.
Koichi Takada Architects Designs Biophilic Marketplace Inspired by Shanghai's Forests | ArchDaily
Links for May 24, 2021
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2021 6:18 AM
- ↪︎ Global military spending is now at a 32-year high. The US is *up* 6%.
Mapped: The World’s Top Countries for Military Spending
- ↪︎ /cc @cathicks
Needle felting a stop-motion puppet bullfrog
- ↪︎ I thought we gave up on that weeks ago
It's Time For America's Fixation On Herd Immunity To End, Scientists Say
- ↪︎ YUP
The Pain of the Commute
- ↪︎ Much better than “will it blend”
Everyday Objects, Sliced
- ↪︎ How to profile your zsh startup time
- ↪︎ Scientists found that the fish were gradually domesticated like dog breeds into the beautiful shapes and colors that turn up today in pet stores.
The 1,000-Year Secret That Made Betta Fish Beautiful
- ↪︎ Impossible Grids with SwiftUI
- ↪︎ 30 Years of Browsers: A Quick History
- ↪︎ What does a PGP signature on a git commit prove?
- ↪︎ I would have thought “when it is the only statement”, but that’s not quite true.
Q&A: When can Swift’s return keyword be omitted?
- ↪︎ Lovecraft Country is a really great show - and the VFX work was good to
Lovecraft Country: VFX Breakdown by RISE - The Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Raytraced Shadows in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- ↪︎ Every type of roller coaster, explained by a roller coaster engineer
Links for May 23, 2021
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2021 3:48 PM
- ↪︎ The making of Donkey Kong for the Atari 2600
How I Spent My Summer of 1982
- ↪︎ These train (and weather) trackers are amazing! All on a circuit board with multi-colored LEDs and updates in (near) realtime!
- ↪︎ Woah, now that’s a bug.
Case Study 4: The $440 Million Software Error at Knight Capital
- ↪︎ What a whale of a shot.
One Great Shot: Hungry, Hungry Humpback
- ↪︎ Dezeen's top 10 Chinese architecture projects of 2020
- ↪︎ By segregating macOS background tasks on Efficiency cores, M1 Macs can run user apps unfettered on their Performance cores. And that feels really fast.
How M1 Macs feel faster than Intel models: it’s about QoS
Links for May 15, 2021
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2021 4:01 PM
Links for May 14, 2021
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2021 10:50 PM
- ↪︎ I've been listening to this remix for 15 years or more and it's great.
Tone Loc vs Yes vs Salt 'n Pepa - Wild Thing vs Owner Of.....vs Push It - YouTube
Links for May 12, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2021 3:52 AM
- ↪︎ Oh wow. I felt like it was inevitable, but I didn’t think it would be so fast.
Sony is no longer selling DSLRs
- ↪︎ Tina Turner Delivers a Blistering Live Performance of "Proud Mary" on Italian TV (1971)
- ↪︎ Deciding what DispatchQueue to run a completion handler on
- ↪︎ “We love atmosphere.” The atmosphere of their office is great. Nice interview.
Anya Moryoussef on Challenging the Traditional Model of Architectural Practice
Links for May 10, 2021
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2021 4:29 AM
- ↪︎ The view is stunning, but the structure is equally awesome.
House in El Torón / IUA Ignacio Urquiza Arquitectos | ArchDaily
Links for May 9, 2021
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2021 10:15 PM
- ↪︎ This isn’t looking good.
The global chip shortage is starting to have major real-world consequences
- ↪︎ CloudKit & CoreData tips.
How to Set Up Core Data and CloudKit When You Haven’t the Faintest Clue What You’re Doing
- ↪︎ MH370 pilot made many turns and speed changes new report reveals
- ↪︎ Superbly detailed history of the techno music genre
Beatport's Definitive History of Techno
- ↪︎ Plan 9 from Bell Labs source, with commit changes!
Links for May 6, 2021
Posted on Thursday, May 6, 2021 11:14 PM
- ↪︎ Dave Cutler tells the CHM about his fascinating carrer, from working at DuPont, to his time at DEC, to his time at Microsoft.
Oral History of Dave Cutler Part 1 - YouTube
- ↪︎ I had no idea angry lynx sounded so hilarious.
Watch: A pair of lynxes arguing in Ontario
Links for May 3, 2021
Posted on Monday, May 3, 2021 1:14 AM
- ↪︎ So XKCD is now a NY Times Column. Neat.
Where Does a Candle Go When It Burns?
- ↪︎ Controlling the timing of a Combine pipeline
- ↪︎ The representation of women on boards of directors a mixed bag. This graphic looks at the 10-year trend of women on corporate boards.
Visualizing the Rise of Women on Boards of Directors Worldwide
- ↪︎ 😐
I.M. Pei & Partners' Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art Captured by Nipun Prabhakar | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Wildlife illustartions
Explore a New Archive of 2,200 Historical Wildlife Illustrations (1916-1965): Courtesy of The Wildlife Conservation Society | Open Culture
Links for May 2, 2021
Posted on Sunday, May 2, 2021 6:09 AM
- ↪︎ beautiful.
Printemps Haussmann, the late 19th to early 20th century Art Nouveau department store and the headquarters of the Printemps department store chain located on Boulevard Haussmann, Paris, France.
Links for April 30, 2021
Posted on Friday, Apr 30, 2021 4:30 AM
- ↪︎ New priorities needed for California’s next drought
- ↪︎ Another perspective on the Apple North Carolina campus.
Apple announces $1 billion North Carolina campus
Links for April 29, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Apr 29, 2021 7:46 PM
- ↪︎ How rendering of the surface texture of fabrics changed during the southern Renaissance, and new techniques were exported to the north.
Rebirth: Fabrics and materials
- ↪︎ Need more details when debugging CoreData? Check this out.
Debugging Core Data
- ↪︎ The slope on that roof is everything
A Curved Roof Covered In Diamond-Shaped Zinc Shingles Adds A Creative Touch To This Home
- ↪︎ *looks around the room to see where he can put these shelves*
Creative Shelving Shapes Were Designed For This Living Room Wall That Also Includes A TV, Fireplace, And A Pair Of Window Seats
- ↪︎ What's new in Swift Package Manager in Swift 5.4
- ↪︎ Company's claims hinge on how much water early-1900s rail cars carried.
Nestlé threatened with cease-and-desist over alleged illegal water use
Links for April 27, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 27, 2021 3:29 PM
- ↪︎ This is so weird, and I love the idea.
The salmon in this sushi didn’t come from the ocean—it was harvested from a bioreactor
- ↪︎ ok, so this article says to stop using the term, but then the history about the term that it links to literally says it is gender neutral. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ What do you all think?
‘Guys’ is not gender-neutral, let’s stop using it
- ↪︎ I’ve been fascinated with the OP-1 since its release, and this isn’t helping
Links for April 26, 2021
Posted on Monday, Apr 26, 2021 11:38 PM
Links for April 25, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Apr 25, 2021 5:14 AM
Links for April 24, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Apr 24, 2021 9:43 PM
- ↪︎ If you’re curious about Starlink, satellites, or the internet you should read this - it’s really fascinating. Your phone bill is building Elon's space empire.
Starlink is a global ISP built at ZERO COST to SpaceX, enabling NASA’s Artemis launch
- ↪︎ This really is such an obvious feature, but I wonder how much advertising revenue they’re losing?
Kindle Lock screen displays book covers
- ↪︎ Good!
New entrance fees required at many Hawaii state parks effective April 19, 2021
Links for April 22, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Apr 22, 2021 2:12 AM
- ↪︎ This is the kind of thing that happens when a company doesn’t innovate, gets outsmarted, and has a temper tantrum because of their lack of foresight.
The Cold War Over Hacking McDonald’s Ice Cream Machines
Links for April 21, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 21, 2021 11:02 PM
Links for April 16, 2021
Posted on Friday, Apr 16, 2021 3:05 PM
- ↪︎ A sneak peek into SwiftUI's graph
- ↪︎ I really want to visit India again to visit Delhi. So much history.
Khari Baoli Rooftop
- ↪︎ Using Combine’s futures and subjects
- ↪︎ I’ll call this one Jenga House.
HG - Gerontological Home / R+B Diseño Experimental
- ↪︎ Frank Gehry in conversation with NYT culture reporter Robin Pogrebin. Touring the acclaimed architect's Los Angeles studio, passing models of small residential projects as well as enormous urban developments, the exchange touches on several completed and ongoing Gehry projects that have also made...
Frank Gehry: enjoying architecture at 92
Links for April 11, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Apr 11, 2021 1:57 AM
- ↪︎ How long until there is a comic book for every new movie?
Read Your Movies As Automatically Generated Comic Books
- ↪︎ Can confirm.
How Much Weight Did We Gain During Lockdowns? 2 Pounds a Month, Study Hints
- ↪︎ The Miasma Theory Was Wrong but Led to Smart Sanitation
- ↪︎ Remote Work Is Here to Stay. Manhattan May Never Be the Same.
- ↪︎ I have a vermicomposter from @subpod in my yard, and I can attest that they devour things fast!
Worm Bin: 100-day time-lapse | The Kid Should See This
- ↪︎ Travis Kalanick's ratfucking of the restaurant industry continues apace.
- ↪︎ Neat dive into how web browsers are built.
Web Browser Engineering
Links for April 10, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Apr 10, 2021 10:56 PM
- ↪︎ Wow, @DelawareNorth made a BAD decision a few years ago.
Yosemite National Park trademarks dispute
- ↪︎ I’ve had some Japanese woodworking saws and man they’re so amazing.
Celebrating the beauty of Japanese carpentry tools
- ↪︎ Using pipes in Swift scripts
- ↪︎ A Technical (But Not Too Technical) Explanation Of Landing Perseverance Rover On Mars
- ↪︎ WWWWOOOOOWWWW
John Lautner’s modernist Garcia House gets landmark makeover
- ↪︎ ☹️
Some Elephants in Africa Are Just a Step From Extinction
- ↪︎ I don’t even know what to say about this but it’s neat.
RACV Cape Schanck Resort / Wood Marsh
- ↪︎ Ken’s chip tear downs are so amazing. Especially for chips that I had no idea existed.
Teardown of a logic chip from a vintage IBM ES/9000 mainframe
- ↪︎ Every map company should do this!
Redefining what a map can be with new information and AI
- ↪︎ I love Dave’s explain arion of these things. Really great.
Core Data and SwiftUI
- ↪︎ I had no idea about most of this.
Black Soldiers and the Civil War
- ↪︎ This video is right up my alley.
Every Bridge For Every Situation, Explained By an Engineer
Links for April 7, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 7, 2021 4:03 PM
- ↪︎ Free programming ebooks
free-programming-books/free-programming-books.md at master · EbookFoundation/free-programming-books
Links for March 31, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Mar 31, 2021 1:24 AM
- ↪︎ LEGO is absolutely the source of my love of architecture. This is a good video about both.
Architectural Lessons of LEGO | ArchDaily
Links for March 30, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Mar 30, 2021 3:03 PM
- ↪︎ Not sure I’d want to live here all the time, but I would love to vacation here. Stunning house & views.
Gallery of Hood River Residence / Scott | Edwards Architecture - 14
- ↪︎ The Louvre's Entire Collection Goes Online
- ↪︎ This is a neat twist on calculators - very similar to @soulver
Beautiful calculator for Mac
- ↪︎ I still haven’t visited this museum yet!
This drone video of the Pacific Pinball Museum Annex will flip you out
- ↪︎ Corporate sponsors and board members alike are retreating from RMS-gate.
Red Hat withdraws from the Free Software Foundation after Stallman’s return
- ↪︎ A group of scientists from Boulder, Colo., compared three different atomic clocks. It's a step toward redefining the length of a second.
Scientists Get Closer To Redefining The Length Of A Second
Links for March 27, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 11:24 PM
- ↪︎ Visualized: The Richest Families in America
- ↪︎ Handy tips.
Inspecting SwiftUI views
- ↪︎ This new California housing development aims to become the first 3D-printed zero net energy neighborhood
- ↪︎ *drops everything*
Louis Vuitton Ginza Namiki / Jun Aoki & Associates + Peter Marino Architect | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ OOOOOOOH
Rarely Seen Van Gogh Painting Debuts for Public Viewing
- ↪︎ Turing absolutely deserves this honor. Also, Why is US currency so damn boring?
Turing £50 note revealed
- ↪︎ This short-form history is super interesting, and necessary for future generations to consume all the existing knowledge, but I wonder if some of the detail a nuance is lost forever.
Animation explains Martin Luther and the Reformation in under 5 minutes
- ↪︎ The house is stunning, but that view is jaw dropping.
Alegre House / Jorge Vidal | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ These really are remarkable courtyards.
Natural Light and Ventilation: 17 Remarkable Courtyards | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ The Life and Work of Mary Church Terrell
Links for March 26, 2021
Posted on Friday, Mar 26, 2021 3:26 PM
- ↪︎ Quite a juxtaposition of styles.
Farace House / Lillo Giglia Architecture | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Our edit of traditional wooden furniture design boasting delightful joinery from Max Lamb, Christophe Delcourt, Martino Gamper and more
Joint forces: wooden furniture hitting the mark with design details
- ↪︎ Acorn my favorite image editor - it’s on sale for 50% off right now
Michael Tsai - Blog - Acorn 7
- ↪︎ A New Path Forward for the School of Architecture Founded by Frank Lloyd Wright
A New Path Forward for the School of Architecture Founded by Frank Lloyd Wright
Links for March 25, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Mar 25, 2021 3:38 PM
- ↪︎ AT&T is angry that it must stop charging HBO Max rivals for data-cap exemptions.
AT&T lies about Calif. net neutrality law, claiming it bans “free data”
- ↪︎ The endangered California condor could return to the Pacific Northwest for the first time in 100 years
After 100 years, California condor could return to northwest
- ↪︎ These look neat!
New PSVR controllers suggest PS5 headset won’t need external sensors
- ↪︎ And now you know.
The correct pronunciation of German camera stuff
- ↪︎ THis reminds me... I should file my tax return. And then bitch about the fact that we shouldn’t have to do this, except @intuit is a bunch of greedy asshats.
How to file and pay your 2020 taxes online
Links for March 24, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Mar 24, 2021 3:56 PM
- ↪︎ So it sounds like rather than using server compute to auto caption, Google is now distributing the workload to everyone using Chrome.
Chrome now instantly captions audio and video on the web
- ↪︎ Please no.
Visa Plans to Enable Bitcoin Payments at 70 Million Merchants
- ↪︎ Apple silicon app compatibility guides
- ↪︎ I did NOT need to see this
Virgil Abloh reimagines Braun’s iconic Wandanlage stereo
- ↪︎ I’ve been saying for years that education would become more distributed, this is a good read.
Virtual Learning Could Make In-Person School Better - The Atlantic
- ↪︎ Castles are fascinating.
Germany's famous Aachen Cathedral in LEGO microscale | The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ Oh wait, is it infrastructure week again? Wonder if anything will happen this time.
Why an Infrastructure Deal Everyone Wants May Fail - The Atlantic
Links for March 23, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Mar 23, 2021 7:25 AM
- ↪︎ Check out what Firas Abu-Jaber (@firas_legocars) did to the Creator Expert Fiat 500 set!
This car was meant to be built
- ↪︎ That’s a lot of sky!
Astro Anarchy: Milky Way, 12 years, 1250 hours of exposures and 125 x 22 degrees of sky
- ↪︎ This is just gorgeous. Very Mid-Century Modern and yet a bit more futuristic. A++ would look at again.
Triangular Accents Inspired By Candles Adorn This Building In London
Links for March 22, 2021
Posted on Monday, Mar 22, 2021 10:34 PM
- ↪︎ An experiment by Japanese researchers revealed how just a few distracted walkers really can throw off the movements of a whole crowd.
If You Look at Your Phone While Walking, You’re an Agent of Chaos
- ↪︎ Medical Racism has Shaped U.S. Policies for Centuries
- ↪︎ These photos are really satisfying.
- ↪︎ Good reminder.
How to Remove Wi-Fi Networks from Your Mac and iOS Device - The Mac Security Blog
- ↪︎ Brutalism + Plants is really cool.
Uncovering The Hidden Gems Of Brutalism In Madrid | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ I love the idea of 3d printing houses - the simplicity and the reduction in labor needed would be amazing once the technology ages.
3D Printing Concrete House / Professor XU Weiguo‘s team from the Tsinghua University School of Architecture | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Prepare for another drought everyone.
As drought alarms sound, is California prepared?
- ↪︎ Good read if you’re into studying conspiracy theory.
Conspiracy Theories and the Problem of Disbelief - The Atlantic
Links for March 17, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Mar 17, 2021 3:17 PM
- ↪︎ The Eden Project with its famed geodesic biomes opened twenty years ago on March 17th, 2001 in Cornwall, England.
As the Eden Project turns 20, its creators take a look back
Links for March 16, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021 3:35 PM
- ↪︎ Encoding and decoding Swift dictionaries with custom key types
- ↪︎ HAHAHAHHA
- ↪︎ I love the reuse of the existing barn walls, and the mix of materials.
Stone Barn Wall Built into New Home
- ↪︎ Transparent Aluminum: A Real See-Through Metal
- ↪︎ So much talent, and hilarious.
Watch Elton John create a song on the spot using words from an oven user manual
- ↪︎ Outdoorsy, classy and just looking at it relaxes me.
Shoreland Overlook | Murdough Design | Archinect
- ↪︎ “I found some sewer pipes, think we can make a house?”
Mario: “It’s-a me, housey!”
Carl Pruscha, an Architect Investigating Overlooked Territories | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ With a little help from some tuna, a whale shark finally has its feast.
One Great Shot: The Big Gulp
- ↪︎ Hummingbirds’ Iridescent Feathers Are Still a Bit of a Mystery
Links for March 14, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Mar 14, 2021 3:43 PM
- ↪︎ Enhance 224 to 176
Adobe Photoshop's 'Super Resolution' Made My Jaw Hit the Floor
- ↪︎ Tuna sustainability may be in danger.
Tuna’s Last Stand
- ↪︎ There Should Be No Computer Art (1971)
- ↪︎ I think this is season three of For All Man Kind, right?
Russia turns away from NASA, says it will work with China on a Moon base
- ↪︎ I really love the off-kilter arches in this building
take a first look at the vaulted interiors of DDG's 180 east 88th street
- ↪︎ What Are We Willing to Pay to Fight the Rising Sea?
Tiny Town, Big Decision: What Are We Willing to Pay to Fight the Rising Sea?
- ↪︎ “Escaping Criticism” is really exceptional
Comical Canvases: Humour in paintings 1
- ↪︎ Fantastic landscape paintings of Australia
The gold-digger who painted Australia: 1 From Vienna to Victoria
- ↪︎ Goddess of the Week: Thetis, Achilles’ mother
- ↪︎ American Institute of Architects 2021 Photography Awards
Winners of the 2021 AIA|LA Architectural Photography Awards
- ↪︎ The MagicBand was really revolutionary (I still have some), but having the same thing on my Apple Watch will be great (whenever this whole pandemic is behind us)
Disney’s MagicMobile pass is a contactless alternative to the MagicBand
- ↪︎ Can rotting vegetables make electricity?
- ↪︎ That’s a very small start
Minneapolis Settles George Floyd's Family Lawsuit for $27M | Time
- ↪︎ This is exactly why we need to #DefundPolice. They’re doing jobs they shouldn’t be doing.
Oakland cops spend little time on violent crime
- ↪︎ “When households adopt solar, they’re not paying their fair share”
Pretty rich from a company that returned billions to shareholders instead of properly maintaining infrastructure.
Related: I just ordered solar panels.
Here’s why your electricity prices are high and soaring
- ↪︎ Unlocking the Mysteries of Long COVID
- ↪︎ Tina Turner is a powerhouse. I bet this documentary will be good.
Tina Turner Documentary
- ↪︎ The Winners of the 2020 World Nature Photography Awards
- ↪︎ I dub this style “Ewok Modern”
PokoPoko Club House / Klein Dytham architecture
- ↪︎ Another stunning Apple Sto... oh wait, no - A beautiful library in UAE.
House of Wisdom Library and Cultural Center / Foster + Partners | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Tons of playable DOS games!
- ↪︎ A quick review of some font APIs that work for both UIKit and SwiftUI.
Tweaking The iOS System Fonts
- ↪︎ Slow Furniture
- ↪︎ Five African-American inventors who improved the world
- ↪︎ A signed, sealed but not delivered letter from 1697 has finally been read with the help of a high-tech scan that looked inside without breaking its seal.
Reading A Letter That's Been Sealed For More Than 300 Years — Without Opening It
- ↪︎ Blade Runner Soundtrack Remastered into a Feature-Length Soundscape
- ↪︎ Why asynchronous Rust doesn't work
- ↪︎ I might not design hardware, but it sure is good to understand the foundation I’m building things on.
How CPUs are Designed and Built
- ↪︎ How Richard Feynman’s Diagrams Revolutionized Physics
- ↪︎ This makes my brain hurt
Did time flow in two directions from the big bang, making two futures?
- ↪︎ I heard you like bricks, so I put bricks on your bricks.
A Window on the Langhe House / Studioata
- ↪︎ In this tutorial, we will explore the VisionKit framework and show you how to scan documents and perform text recognition in SwiftUI.
How to Scan Images and Perform Text Recognition in SwiftUI
- ↪︎ Good article with some interesting thoughts.
The Future of Apple Retail
Links for March 8, 2021
Posted on Monday, Mar 8, 2021 5:49 AM
- ↪︎ Punta Majahua / Zozaya Arquitectos
- ↪︎ Cave. Houses.
Architecture of the Underground: 6 Modern Cave Dwellings Inspired by Ancient History Journal
- ↪︎ Native Mac APIs for Go
Michael Tsai - Blog - Native Mac APIs for Go
- ↪︎ Beautiful pottery, and functional. There’s so much talent and expertise on display is this video.
Watch a Korean Master Craftsman Make a Kimchi Pot by Hand, All According to Ancient Tradition
- ↪︎ Such an iconic performance. Really neat to hear his thoughts.
Jimi Hendrix Revisits His Searing Performance of “The Star-Spangled Banner”: The Dick Cavett Show (September 9, 1969)
- ↪︎ Wow this is amazing. I have to admit though, I didn’t click the link because if I had you might never hear from me again.
Fonts in Use: Enter a Giant Archive of Typography, Featuring 12,618 Typefaces | Open Culture
- ↪︎ If the world adopted a plant-based diet we would reduce global agricultural land use from 4 to 1 billion hectares
- ↪︎ Will we ever be able to recycle all our plastic?
- ↪︎ The Famed Painting The Scream Holds a Hidden Message
- ↪︎ 100 Women to Watch in Architecture
- ↪︎ This looks fun. I’ve been wanting to build some sort of dashboard with an e-ink display
Wireless, Low Power E-Ink Weather Gadget
Links for March 7, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Mar 7, 2021 5:37 PM
- ↪︎ Fewer Farmers Are Growing Hawaii's 'Miracle Food' Taro Despite Growing Demand
- ↪︎ Remembering the built environment of segregated America
- ↪︎ This should be in school books.
The Little-Known Female Scientists Who Mapped 400,000 Stars Over a Century Ago: An Introduction to the "Harvard Computers" | Open Culture
- ↪︎ TIL: GitHub has a command line tool
Don't forget about the GitHub Command Line - Scott Hanselman's Blog
- ↪︎ These Porgs are so adorable
The Art Of Animation, Hollie Mengert
- ↪︎ In case you were wondering
Your employer can ask whether you’ve received the coronavirus vaccine — and even require it
- ↪︎ Automatic handling of property wrapper default values
Links for March 6, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Mar 6, 2021 5:46 PM
- ↪︎ I learned to program on a ZX81. It was exciting, fun and sometimes frustrating (that keyboard!)
The 40-Year-Old Version: ZX81's sleek plastic case shows no sign of middle-aged spread • The Register
- ↪︎ Reverse-engineering Rosetta 2 part1: Analyzing AOT files and Rosetta 2 runtime
- ↪︎ Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Keep out Inky and Blinky
- ↪︎ Be careful with Obj-C bridging in Swift
- ↪︎ I’m not sure if I’m more impresssed by the buildings or the base it’s on!
A little light amidst a lot of dark
- ↪︎ I love WandaVision, and these are spot-on gorgeous.
Period-Specific Cartoon Homages to Wandavision
- ↪︎ Quick tips on embracing @ViewBuilder
Links for March 3, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Mar 3, 2021 5:37 AM
- ↪︎ We should use more grey metal roofing like this: It’s so simple, clean and pretty (and it lasts forever!).
House OS / 1-1 Architects | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Beautiful open office space!
Headquarters of Doctors Without Borders in Barcelona / Battle i Roig Arquitectura | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ I always love a wavy roof.
Guangming Public Service Platform / ZHUBO DESIGN | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Unit testing Combine-based Swift code
- ↪︎ Paintings of the Four Elements: 1 to 1600
- ↪︎ How to Work with SwiftUI Maps and Annotations
- ↪︎ The smooth organic look of the terminal makes it somehow futuristic and Midcentury Modern all at once.
Construction begins on Foster + Partners Red Sea International Airport
- ↪︎ Ten upcoming supertall skyscrapers from the world's best-known architects
Links for February 25, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 3:52 PM
- ↪︎ Mountains are always gorgeous (just ask Bob Ross), and the ones in this post are no exception
Painting Within Tent: John Auldjo’s ascent of Mont Blanc
- ↪︎ Should you switch to Thunderbolt 4 cables?
- ↪︎ You had me at “Secret Message” and “Mars”
The Secret Message Encoded in the Parachute of the Mars Perseverance Rover
- ↪︎ orangutans
Rescued orangutans returned to the wild - BBC News
- ↪︎ Ignoring invalid JSON elements when using Codable
- ↪︎ Even outside of the pandemic this would be a useful feature for the edge cases where Face ID doesn’t recognize you.
How ‘Unlock With Apple Watch’ While Wearing a Face Mask Works in iOS 14.5
Links for February 24, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Feb 24, 2021 10:42 PM
- ↪︎ Great mid-level dive into the architecture of the Playstation 2 Architecture
Playstation 2 Architecture | A Practical Analysis
Links for February 21, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Feb 21, 2021 5:27 PM
- ↪︎ Was there art before the Renaissance?
Rebirth: 1 Was there art before the Renaissance?
- ↪︎ Global deforestation peaked in the 1980s. Can we bring it to an end?
Links for February 20, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Feb 20, 2021 4:46 PM
- ↪︎ I love artists working in a different field, creating art from those experiences.
Painting Within Tent: John Turnbull Thomson painted all he surveyed
Links for February 17, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Feb 17, 2021 6:08 PM
- ↪︎ This is great
- ↪︎ The world has lost one-third of its forest, but an end of deforestation is possible
- ↪︎ Just a few weeks ago I was reading through the available info about Thread networking, and wish this piece from Eve had been available. Sounds like a great solution to HomeKit networking issues.
Discover your Thread Network | evehome.com
- ↪︎ I didn’t need a reason to visit Toronto again but now have one.
New Renderings Reveal the Tallest Frank Gehry-Designed Building in the World, part of the King Street West Project in Toronto | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ All Your Base is 20
- ↪︎ Always good to make sure your networking is configured for your specific use case.
URLSessionConfiguration Quick Guide
Links for February 15, 2021
Posted on Monday, Feb 15, 2021 8:57 PM
- ↪︎ I can't believe that The Cure sounds so amazingly good this many years later. I love this song.
The Cure perform "Just Like Heaven" at the 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony - YouTube
- ↪︎ One conversation my wife and I keep having is about the mental & developmental impact that the pandemic will have on kids. This article has some interesting thoughts on it too.
Kids of the Covid generation: The road ahead
- ↪︎ Here’s another theory about the origins of Alzheimer’s.
Could the immune system be key to Alzheimer’s disease?
- ↪︎ I have to visit next time I’m on O’ahu.
- ↪︎ Great video!
The Birth of Hip Hop | The Kid Should See This
- ↪︎ I love the history of Silicon Valley - there’s a small patch still there in Sunnyvale.
Orchard Heritage Park – Sunnyvale, California - Gastro Obscura
Links for February 14, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Feb 14, 2021 10:34 PM
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Custom View Modifiers
- ↪︎ Using Diffable Data Source with Collection Views
- ↪︎ Good info here. I’ve definitely trapped myself in AnyViews before.
Avoiding SwiftUI’s AnyView
- ↪︎ Spectacular undulating skylight roof.
SOM expands new york's penn station with moynihan train hall
- ↪︎ Maintenance on this would be a nightmare I’d imagine.
11,520 potted plants clad this observatory tower concept by NUDES
- ↪︎ This design is... totally tubular.
James Law Cybertecture Blends Technology with Futuristic Design
- ↪︎ Oh man this would be perfect for my car (it has a single DIN stereo, and the air vents above it prevent me from getting single DIN CarPlay stereos). I do wish it had wireless CarPlay though.
Review: Car and Driver Intellidash+ is a painless way to add CarPlay to your vehicle | AppleInsider
- ↪︎ Just simply stunning.
California Meadow House / Olson Kundig | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Great tips! I didn’t know about the first one
24 Quick Xcode Tips
- ↪︎ Automatic keyboard avoidance is a blessing.
SwiftUI keyboard avoidance
- ↪︎ Swift is really fantastic at memory management, to the point that you rarely have to think about it, there are some cases like this where you have to give it some thought.
Managing self and cancellable references when using Combine
- ↪︎ If you like crossword puzzles, Black Ink is the best Mac app for it - full of features, well maintained, and it’s been around forever.
– Black Ink 2.1.2: New Puzzles and Bug Fixes
- ↪︎ Lots of new stuff in Swift 5.4!
What’s new in Swift 5.4?
- ↪︎ Passing methods as SwiftUI view actions
- ↪︎ I wasn’t aware of the LabelStyle and ButtonStyle modifiers - nice clean way to provide variances in a design.
Custom SwiftUI view styles
- ↪︎ macOS apps that don’t support customizing the toolbar are disappointing.
Customizing your toolbar in Mac apps
Links for February 12, 2021
Posted on Friday, Feb 12, 2021 12:42 AM
- ↪︎ Well, I guess I can take this idea out of my bucket.
Control HomeKit from the keyboard with HomeControl Menu
- ↪︎ So many lost this past year. I didn’t realize Cristo passed — I remember reading about many of his art installations and being totally amazed at their scale. RIP.
Remembering the great architects and designers we lost in 2020
Links for February 11, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Feb 11, 2021 11:58 PM
- ↪︎ Really slick design, futuristic and organic.
The Wave Landscape Installation / Atelier Scale | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ LOOK SLOW MO FLYING BUGS
Weevils, katydids, an assassin bug, & other insects fly in slow-mo | The Kid Should See This
- ↪︎ SwiftUI patterns: @Bindings
- ↪︎ Really beautiful photos of this Frank Lloyd Wright designed building.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Civic Center Captured on Film by Skyler Dahan
- ↪︎ I feel like these might be great temporary housing for our homeless population.
'brette haus' is a tiny prefabricated house that unfolds in only three hours
Links for February 10, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 3:21 AM
Links for February 8, 2021
Posted on Monday, Feb 8, 2021 3:28 AM
- ↪︎ I didn’t know there was a pneumatic tattoo gun.
History of Tattoos Timeline
Links for February 7, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Feb 7, 2021 5:20 PM
- ↪︎ Hypocrisy and the Filibuster
- ↪︎ It would be fascinating to see this in action
Foxton Locks – Foxton, England - Atlas Obscura
- ↪︎ The Most Populous Cities in the World
Ranked: The Most Populous Cities in the World
- ↪︎ U.S. Presidential Voting History from 1976-2020 (Animated Map)
- ↪︎ So much talent!
A Magical Look Inside the Painting Process of Studio Ghibli Artist Kazuo Oga | Open Culture
- ↪︎ Hyperrealist Paintings by Jeff Bartels
- ↪︎ Étretat, cradle of Impressionism 1 Before 1880
- ↪︎ Concrete + Wood = Good. Neat Midcentury modern twist too
The Concrete Exterior Of This Home Is Warmed Up With Wood On The Interior
- ↪︎ SwiftUI Unit Testing
Links for February 6, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Feb 6, 2021 8:07 PM
- ↪︎ Hi. Does anyone have a spare $14MM floating around that I can have?
An Expansive Bay Area Aerie Offers Golden Gate Views for a Cool $14M
- ↪︎ Simple and pretty
Santiburi The Residences / Architects 49 | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Swoop baby swoop
Jianye Lanhai Zheng Tendency Demo Plot | VVS Architect | Archinect
- ↪︎ Interesting take on the flat iron shape. It really is reminicent of aspen or maybe even birch trees.
Studio Gang envisions a tree-inspired mixed-use project to add to Denver's skyline
Links for February 1, 2021
Posted on Monday, Feb 1, 2021 1:59 AM
- ↪︎ Another good rollback
President Biden takes executive steps to undo discriminatory housing policies
- ↪︎ With all those windows it’s a good thing they have good tree coverage.
Case Study Architect Whitney R. Smith’s SoCal Residence Lists for $2.35M
- ↪︎ Good information about MagSafe charging and Pacemakers. You gotta keep ‘em separated.
About the magnets inside iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, and MagSafe accessories - Apple Support
- ↪︎ I would like to show you a rabbit hole all about libraries. Have fun.
9 Oldest Libraries in the World
Links for January 31, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jan 31, 2021 1:14 AM
- ↪︎ Good news!
Apple’s (tiny) market share in India doubled last year
- ↪︎ Tweetbot 6 is out - it’s $5..99/yr, a total steal if you ask me.
- ↪︎ Pier 39 is certainly a huge tourist attraction, but the kitsch is what makes it entertaining for me.
In defense of Pier 39. May it rise after the pandemic kitschier than ever - San Francisco Chronicle
- ↪︎ I didn’t know about a few of these!
Top Ten Ray Harryhausen Creations - Boing Boing
Links for January 30, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Jan 30, 2021 4:44 AM
- ↪︎ Hard to believe - the time I visited it was around 100℉ at 10am.
WATCH: Snow falls in California’s Joshua Tree National Park
- ↪︎ Oooh this might be handy sometime
How to sync the width or height of two SwiftUI views?
- ↪︎ Clears up some confusion for me about property wrappers
Which SwiftUI property wrapper to choose in any situation
- ↪︎ The California watch face is one of my favorites.
The iconic watches that inspired Apple Watch faces
- ↪︎ Look at that roof. I mean LOOK at it!!
Granja Viana House / Gui Paoliello Arquiteto | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ The CIA Has Declassified 2,780 Pages of UFO-Related Documents, and They’re Now Free to Download
- ↪︎ Widget Background and Accent Color
Links for January 28, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Jan 28, 2021 11:57 PM
- ↪︎ It's a natural occurance, but it still sucks.
Yosemite: 15 giant sequoia trees toppled in storm
Links for January 27, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 27, 2021 4:08 PM
- ↪︎ I didn’t realize this protest was still going on - it sounds like it’s getting worse.
India’s Republic Day farmer protests turn violent - Vox
- ↪︎ oooooooooh preeeetttyyyyy
Sou Fujimoto to design crown of Torch Tower, Japan's future tallest skyscraper
Links for January 26, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Jan 26, 2021 5:10 PM
Links for January 24, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jan 24, 2021 8:56 PM
- ↪︎ This is really stunning, especially those walls.
workshop architects integrates contemporary elements into colonial mexican house
- ↪︎ Reminds me of many Apple Store designs
VDG Van Dijk Groep Office Building / Denkkamer
Links for January 21, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Jan 21, 2021 4:06 PM
Links for January 20, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 20, 2021 6:35 AM
- ↪︎ Performing POST and file upload requests using URLSession
- ↪︎ Creating custom query functions using key paths
- ↪︎ This must be the most stunning pizza restaraunt anywhere, by a wide margin. The wood work is spectacular.
Pizza 4P’s Restaurant Landmark 72 / ODDO architects | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ I really love his use of color in his painting, especially in “Shipwrecked”. The darkness of the background and lightness of the wave splashes really makes it all pop.
The Painter of the Moment, Eugène Lepoittevin
- ↪︎ This is total insanity, and totally brilliant.
- ↪︎ More interesting details about the M1 Macs, this time about disk structures.
M1 Macs radically change boot and recovery
- ↪︎ I had my doubts about Apple’s buyback plan too, but at this point it would be hard to doubt it’s effectiveness.
Above Avalon: Apple Won the Share Buyback Debate
- ↪︎ We’ve had a couple packages over the years delivered to us that we definitely didn’t order. Maybe this is what was going on.
Amazon’s “Brushing” Scam
- ↪︎ The parallax on the Firewatch (@camposanto) website is gorgeous.
Campo Santo - Firewatch
Links for January 19, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 10:20 PM
- ↪︎ Need to search through all of your PDFs? try this out, it's really simple.
- ↪︎ The futuristic somehow organic look of this museum is attractive.
Museum of SNP. Slovakia. : architecture
- ↪︎ Nope
Hey, Do I Really Have to Peel Ginger? - Food Network
- ↪︎ Looks like people have reinvented the idea behind BBS's again. I like it.
How to run a small social network site for your friends
Links for January 18, 2021
Posted on Monday, Jan 18, 2021 4:40 PM
- ↪︎ Wikipedia is 20.
The other tech giant - Wikipedia is 20, and its reputation has never been higher | International | The Economist
- ↪︎ ok, I really need a 3D printer now. That ultrawide display is 💯
Modern Retro Computer Terminals - The Works of Oriol Ferrer Mesià
- ↪︎ A lot of fascinating things going on in the M1.
Rosenzweig – Dissecting the Apple M1 GPU, part I
- ↪︎ This would be really handy for UI automation testing
SwiftUI views to images | Alexito's World
- ↪︎ iTunes may have its flaws, but it’s still a powerhouse.
iTunes at 20: How One App Changed Apple's Course - The Mac Security Blog
- ↪︎ Goddesses of the Week: The Charites or Graces
- ↪︎ That ceiling is stunning.
The Westin Miyako Kyoto / Chapel Renovation / KATORI archi+design associates | ArchDaily
Links for January 17, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jan 17, 2021 4:49 PM
Links for January 16, 2021
Posted on Saturday, Jan 16, 2021 2:25 AM
- ↪︎ Care for your puppers pads.
Cracked paw pads: How to care for your dog's cut or dry paw pads - Business Insider
- ↪︎ Her lip sync videos are *chefs kiss*
AP Breakthrough Entertainer Sarah Cooper: TikTok to Netflix TikTok Netflix Sarah Cooper woman Donald Trump | The Independent
- ↪︎ Just wow. Not even sure what to say about this one.
“You Open Your Dwelling’s Door and You See the Mountains”: In conversation with Li Xinggang of Atelier Li Xinggang | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ There’s still no good reason this isn’t fully automated.
2020 taxes will be like no other year
- ↪︎ I hope there are already plenty of investigations in progress.
How Biden Should Investigate Trump
Links for January 15, 2021
Posted on Friday, Jan 15, 2021 5:24 AM
- ↪︎ This is great. We need a lot more of this.
Over 46,000 pounds of debris removed from remote beaches on Molokai
- ↪︎ Amazing home that hasn’t been on the market for over a century.
Asking $1.4M, This Historic Berkeley Home Lists for the First Time in More Than a Century
- ↪︎ Stunning organic residence
Phase one of Jean Nouvel's Ecuadorian residential complex is underway
- ↪︎ A++ Lighting
Denis Istomin - https://www.deviantart.com/gydw1n -...
- ↪︎ OK, so both Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood sold off their rights? This is weird, right?
Mick Fleetwood Sells Song Catalog To BMG
- ↪︎ Is there a reason other than needing cash that a music artist might do this?
LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM SELLS HIS SONG CATALOG TO HIPNOSIS
- ↪︎ Thats a lot of copper.
Visualizing All the Known Copper in the World
Links for January 14, 2021
Posted on Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 4:37 AM
- ↪︎ COVID-19 VaccineTracker Shortcut!
RoutineHub • COVID-19 VaccineTracker
Links for January 12, 2021
Posted on Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 7:49 PM
- ↪︎ Y'all don't lose your passwords.
Lost Passwords Lock Millionaires Out of Their Bitcoin Fortunes - The New York Times
- ↪︎ Interesting, but I wouldn’t want my house to look like Your Self Storage
Box Factory House / hb+a Architects
- ↪︎ I love that RetroGamers are a thing.
Castlevania III Password Algorithm
- ↪︎ They should hvae done this long ago, but I’m glad it’s finally done.
All the platforms that have banned or restricted Trump so far - Axios
- ↪︎ It’s been so quiet on Twitter. Can we ban him from the country now?
Permanent suspension of @realDonaldTrump
- ↪︎ #1 Trump had a Twitch account??
#2 Was it just a feed of him sitting there Tweeting all day?
Twitch Suspends Donald Trump's Channel To Prevent Him From Inciting 'Further Violence'
- ↪︎ I always felt there was something a bit slimy going on with points, but never knew what was really going on until now.
Free As In Frequent Flyer Miles
Links for January 6, 2021
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 6, 2021 10:29 PM
- ↪︎ This syntax is so odd and backwards and weird. But handy.
How Do I Write If Case Let in Swift?
- ↪︎ LOVE This furniture
- ↪︎ This is quaint and clean
Kitchen/dining space on the upper level and a small seating area on the ground floor looking out onto the garden, South Kensington, Central London, UK [1500x1957] : RoomPorn
Links for January 3, 2021
Posted on Sunday, Jan 3, 2021 2:04 AM
- ↪︎ I’ve been laughing at this since March.
Paul Rugg Relaxes By Petting His Dog, Lucky
- ↪︎ I wish current refrigerator shelves were like this!
The shelves on this GE fridge from the 50’s : Damnthatsinteresting
Links for January 1, 2021
Posted on Friday, Jan 1, 2021 11:05 PM
- ↪︎ This is an understatement.
California’s electric grid needs an overhaul
- ↪︎ I hadn’t realized that the revenue from Nintendo’s mobile platforms was so much larger than their consoles.
Switch to Success: 20 Years of Nintendo Console Sales
- ↪︎ I learned way more about power adapters than I had expected.
★ Charger Nerdery
Links for December 29, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Dec 29, 2020 6:32 PM
- ↪︎ Lots of great info about Content Caching in macOS.
Can a Content Caching Server compensate for lost standalone updates?
Links for December 28, 2020
Posted on Monday, Dec 28, 2020 4:43 PM
- ↪︎ It’s like a full sized Hobbit hole!
Asking $220K, an Architect’s Handcrafted Earthen Home Seeks a Visionary Buyer in Vermont
Links for December 27, 2020
Posted on Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 7:05 AM
Links for December 22, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 6:56 AM
- ↪︎ Totally adorable.
- ↪︎ These guys need to get their act together.Maybe some competition would help.
Whack and stack: PG&E’s toppling of trees creates new hazards
- ↪︎ Another book I need to buy
Disney Historian Christian Renaut on The Best Of Disney’s Animated Features
- ↪︎ Very Impressive woodwork.
London Timber Pavilion by Schiller Projects
- ↪︎ Gorgeous
- ↪︎ The bar is so low now, doubling down should be easy
The Biden Administration Must Double Down on Science
Links for December 21, 2020
Posted on Monday, Dec 21, 2020 6:16 PM
- ↪︎ Vacation villas for modernist ewoks
COCO Art Villas Costa Rica / ARCHWERK + Formafatal
Links for December 17, 2020
Posted on Thursday, Dec 17, 2020 5:55 AM
- ↪︎ “Outdoor Living Room” is music to my ears.
A Landscaped Yard Extends The Living Space Of This Modern Home
- ↪︎ I bet the view from the top of this house is stunning.
Walls Of Windows Allow This Hillside Home To Take Advantage Of The Forest Views
- ↪︎ The black, stone and wood combination on the entrance to this house is sexy. Might have to do something similar to my house when we redo the outside.
A Brick Exterior And Wood-Filled Interior Are Noticeable Features Of This Mid-Century Modern Inspired Home
- ↪︎ I love the idea of being able to see all the components.
How to make a breadboard wristwatch
Links for December 16, 2020
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 16, 2020 5:10 AM
- ↪︎ I give all of my employees a Rubber Duck, because it does work.
The art of Rubber Ducking or Rubber Duck Debugging
- ↪︎ I’m so surprised.
That Price Hike Delivery Apps Threatened If Prop 22 Failed? It’s Happening Anyway - Eater SF
- ↪︎ The scalloped windows are stunning.
Radical South Tyrol hotel redefines Alpine architecture
- ↪︎ Wow. I thought my AeroGarden farm was amazing. This is nuts.
Vertical Farm in Copenhagen reimagines sustainable food
- ↪︎ This design is so simple and clean.
Kengo Kuma’s studio for Grand Seiko sits in Mount Iwate
Links for December 15, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Dec 15, 2020 1:00 AM
- ↪︎ Beautiful photography.
Seven groundbreaking female photographers – in pictures
Links for December 14, 2020
Posted on Monday, Dec 14, 2020 4:35 PM
- ↪︎ I didn’t know there was a @99pi book. Bought.
‘A City is a Series of Choices Over Time’: Roman Mars Reveals the Secret Histories That Shape Our Streets
- ↪︎ I really enjoyed the first season of Raised by Wolves - hopefully more episodes are on the way.
Ridley Scott on sci-fi epic Raised By Wolves: 'Watch it with three bottles of wine!'
Links for December 13, 2020
Posted on Sunday, Dec 13, 2020 9:26 PM
- ↪︎ The first season was great, I can’t wait for 2 and 3.
Apple Renews 'For All Mankind' for a Third Season
- ↪︎ I had no idea this was a thing. It’s great.
San Francisco gun buyback event enters sixth year
- ↪︎ This is really great. Every intersections should be beautiful.
What other intersections would benefit from artistic Complete Streets makeovers?
- ↪︎ I love his use of strong perspective in these drawings.
Paul Rudolph was known for using perspective section drawings as a key part of the design process- here are a few he made over the course of his career : architecture
- ↪︎ Seriously with fireplaces lately. This one is stunning.
Double height living room with huge windows, Kiawah Island, Charleston County, South Carolina [2400x3600] : RoomPorn
- ↪︎ Mechanical what?
Mechanical Riverfront Kingdom – Decatur, Georgia - Atlas Obscura
Links for December 12, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Dec 12, 2020 6:33 PM
- ↪︎ Raaaadddiiiissshhhhheeeeessss iiiinnnn Spppppaaaaaaaccceeee
Radishes Growing in Space: 27 days in 10 seconds | The Kid Should See This
- ↪︎ Fewer tech companies than I expected.
The World’s Largest IPOs Adjusted For Inflation
- ↪︎ This was a great video. I can’t believe they made it for only $1500.
go — Moby
- ↪︎ ❤️ This.
Tim Cook urges UN to move to a 'carbon-neutral economy'
- ↪︎ Adding this to my list of places to go next tim I’m in Toronto.
Gusto 501 Restaurant / Partisans
Links for December 11, 2020
Posted on Friday, Dec 11, 2020 8:15 AM
- ↪︎ That curved wood wall is hot.
Baan Priggang / BodinChapa Architects | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Modernist Hobbit Hole.
bjarke ingels-designed house from 2008 goes on sale in glamsbjerg, denmark
- ↪︎ This sounds very promising.
Not Much Bigger Than a Schoolbus, These Tiny Reactors Can Save Nuclear Energy - Popular Mechanics
Links for December 7, 2020
Posted on Monday, Dec 7, 2020 1:03 AM
- ↪︎ I visited this restaurant the first time in 2009, my first visit to San Francisco. It was the best Italian I’ve ever had. Sad to see it go.
E Tutto Qua Italian Restaurant Closes in North Beach - Eater SF
Links for December 6, 2020
Posted on Sunday, Dec 6, 2020 6:12 AM
Links for December 1, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Dec 1, 2020 3:43 PM
- ↪︎ ☹️ ☄️
Losing Arecibo's giant dish leaves humans more vulnerable to space rocks, scientists say
Links for November 28, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Nov 28, 2020 5:20 PM
- ↪︎ I always assumed this was possible, but never got around to trying it.
Booting from a vinyl record – BOGIN, JR.
- ↪︎ hmmm neat.
Ship better apps with fewer bugs with Waldo | Waldo
Links for November 21, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 4:30 PM
- ↪︎ What does it mean to be Native Hawaiian?
Nāiwi 001: Mililani Bernadette Trask | by Rosehill | Oct, 2020 | Medium
Links for November 9, 2020
Posted on Monday, Nov 9, 2020 12:16 AM
- ↪︎ Tracking trains sounds fun.
ATCS: Advanced Train Control System
Links for November 6, 2020
Posted on Friday, Nov 6, 2020 3:51 AM
- ↪︎ I love the stark whiteness of the interior of this house.
This Cozy Aussie Cottage Is a Treasure Trove of Pottery and Vintage Finds
- ↪︎ I still need to visit this place.
The 1926 Redwood Grove Estate by Hearst Castle Architect Julia Morgan Lists for $5M
Links for October 31, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Oct 31, 2020 3:54 PM
- ↪︎ Looks like all the baseball cards I’ve saved might actually be worth something now.
From ruins to renaissance: How the sports card market became appealing to investors - Yahoo Sports
Links for October 24, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Oct 24, 2020 3:14 PM
- ↪︎ This is absurd.
To Reclaim Ancestral Land, All Native Hawaiians Need Is a $300,000 Mortgage and to Wait in Line for Decades
Links for October 23, 2020
Posted on Friday, Oct 23, 2020 3:10 AM
- ↪︎ Brilliant.
Software Engineer Reverse-Engineers McDonald's Ordering API To Find Locations With a Broken Ice Cream Machine
Links for October 22, 2020
Posted on Thursday, Oct 22, 2020 4:48 AM
- ↪︎ This is crazy good. /cc @cathicks
"Reverse Toonification" of Pixar Characters
- ↪︎ I love interactive art like this. Art + History + Technology = win
An Interface for Exploring Ed Ruscha’s Sunset Boulevard Street Views
- ↪︎ Reeder 5, the latest version of @reederapp brings iCloud syncing to the built in feed fetching. Which means the FreshRSS reader server I setup last year can go away now. WOO.
Reeder 5 by Silvio Rizzi
- ↪︎ Engaging well written story from @whatrocks about his recent colon cancer experience.
Which reminds me I need to make an appointment for *that* checkup.
Notes on My Colon Cancer
Links for October 21, 2020
Posted on Wednesday, Oct 21, 2020 4:34 PM
- ↪︎ Thanks, Captain Obvious.
Presidential Debates Have Shockingly Little Effect on Election Outcomes
- ↪︎ The quality and breadth of her works is exemplary.
The Dorothea Lange Digital Archive: Explore 600+ Photographs by the Influential Photographer (Plus Negatives, Contact Sheets & More)
Links for October 20, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 11:58 PM
- ↪︎ WTF.
Grand Juror Speaks After Judge Ruling in Breonna Taylor Case
- ↪︎ Impressive.
NYC’s New Digital Subway Map
- ↪︎ Sadly the house doesn’t include the dungeon basement or the well.
Hey, Horror Movie Buffs—You Can Own the "Silence of the Lambs" House for $299K
- ↪︎ This is just stunning.
Quebec, Canada: the Heart of Mass Timber Construction
- ↪︎ This thing looks like something out of a Sci-Fi film.
Zaha Hadid Architects shares proposal for Shanghai's "greenest building"
- ↪︎ I recall GE producing a home-sized hydrogen fuel cell about a decade ago, except the sustaining fuel was propane, instead of solar.
Tesla Powerwall Rival Seeks To Bring Hydrogen Into Your Home
- ↪︎ Sounds like Gowalla is going to be a new Geocaching.
Gowalla | Coming 2021 | A Social Game in the Real World
Links for October 17, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Oct 17, 2020 8:52 PM
- ↪︎ Be still my beating heart.
Living and dining area clad in wood opening up to views of the ocean, Orcas Island, Washington by Heliotrope Architects (Photo: Sean Airhart) [1688x2192] : RoomPorn
Links for October 16, 2020
Posted on Friday, Oct 16, 2020 2:32 AM
- ↪︎ This must be terrifying for the astronauts.
An air supply system on the ISS just failed – BGR
- ↪︎ I’m gonna guess that the next Samsung phone won’t have a charger in the box either.
Samsung Mocks Apple for Ditching Power Adapters With iPhone 12 Lineup - MacRumors
- ↪︎ Go behind the music as Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band record together live for the first time since Born In The U.S.A....
Apple Releases a Second Bruce Springsteen Snippet from the Documentary 'Letter to You' - Patently Apple
Links for October 15, 2020
Posted on Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 4:51 PM
- ↪︎ 😞
The Great Barrier Reef Has Lost Half Its Corals
Links for October 14, 2020
Posted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 3:13 AM
- ↪︎ I’m way more excited about this wallet than I probably should be.
Apple Resurfaces 'MagSafe' Brand for New iPhone 12 Accessories - MacRumors
Links for October 13, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 13, 2020 3:42 AM
- ↪︎ Jow Biden has 0% chance if you all don’t vote
Joe Biden Has 91 Percent Chance of Winning Electoral College, Latest Economist Forecast Predicts
Links for October 11, 2020
Posted on Sunday, Oct 11, 2020 9:24 PM
- ↪︎ Amazing the power of social media.
Fleetwood Mac News: FLEETWOOD MAC AND DREAMS ON THE CHARTS
Links for October 9, 2020
Posted on Friday, Oct 9, 2020 2:17 AM
- ↪︎ Can I live here, please?
Bamboo Gateway / West-line studio | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ Seriously SciFi.
3XN Designs First Project in the UK, a Vertical Campus in the Largest Pedestrian Neighborhood in Central London | ArchDaily
- ↪︎ My taste and my pocketbook do not see eye to eye.
These Wood Stairs Have A Strip Of Lighting Built Into The Wall
- ↪︎ Looks like shipping crates stacked diagonally. Love it.
Small Covered Balconies Give This Apartment Building A Unique Look
- ↪︎ The Dow Jones Industrial Average is constantly evolving. See which companies have come and gone since the inception of the index in 1928.
Every Company In and Out of Dow Jones Industrial Average Since 1928
- ↪︎ BECAUSE THEYRE AWESOME
Why do we need national parks?
- ↪︎ MEGAPOD
The Orca Megapod Mystery | The Kid Should See This
- ↪︎ Drool.
Beachfront house sells for $15M as Maui moves from vacation to second-home market - Pacific Business News
- ↪︎ Dr. Andrea Ghez of UCLA has won the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics for proving the existence of a supermassive black hole
Longtime Keck Observatory Astronomer Wins Nobel Prize | Maui Now | Hawaii News
Links for October 6, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 6, 2020 3:07 PM
- ↪︎ 🔥 🔥 "I’m Amputating You. Be Happy and Never Seek Me Again"🔥 🔥
Frida Kahlo's Venomous Love Letter to Diego Rivera: "I’m Amputating You. Be Happy and Never Seek Me Again"
- ↪︎ I don’t recall ever hearing about this machine before
Discovered: The User Manual for the Oldest Surviving Computer in the World | Open Culture
- ↪︎ Amusing
Michael Tsai - Blog - 5 GUIs
- ↪︎ Nice overview of partition tables
Inside the file system: 1 Disks and partitions – The Eclectic Light Company
Links for October 5, 2020
Posted on Monday, Oct 5, 2020 12:51 AM
- ↪︎ Sometimes I can’t believe the GPUs we can purchase nowadays
Ray Tracing & DLSS with the GeForce RTX 3080
Links for September 27, 2020
Posted on Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 12:54 AM
- ↪︎ I’ve been by here multiple times, I had no idea the first internet transmission was sent from here!
Alpine Inn – Portola Valley, California - Gastro Obscura
Links for September 25, 2020
Posted on Friday, Sep 25, 2020 5:35 AM
Links for September 21, 2020
Posted on Monday, Sep 21, 2020 3:44 PM
- ↪︎ Learn more about the making of Spiderman Far from home with VFX Supervisor Alexis Wajsbrot
Creating the Illusion battle for Spiderman Far From Home | IAMAG Master Classes
Links for September 20, 2020
Posted on Sunday, Sep 20, 2020 7:08 PM
- ↪︎ Super fun show, and the effects have been really good.
LOVECRAFT COUNTRY: Grant Walker - VFX Supervisor - Framestore - The Art of VFXThe Art of VFX
- ↪︎ Terrifying, honestly.
J. Robert Oppenheimer Explains How He Recited a Line from Bhagavad Gita--"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"--Upon Witnessing the First Nuclear Explosion | Open Culture
- ↪︎ i love the style of this shop
Gallery of Tost Coffee Shop / Gabriel Castro MOBIO - 6
- ↪︎ Unicode's answer to Base64. Contribute to qntm/base65536 development by creating an account on GitHub.
GitHub - qntm/base65536: Unicode's answer to Base64
- ↪︎ Wow this is fascinating.
Matt Blaze: A Cryptologic Mystery
- ↪︎ Lots of great new accessibility features.
New Apple accessibility features in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7
- ↪︎ New blood assays and brain scans are among the biomarkers revolutionizing clinical trials and changing the way researchers think of the disease. They may soon change the way patients are treated as well.
Seeking a better test for Alzheimer’s
- ↪︎ It all starts with a community teeming with yeasts and bacteria — but what’s really happening? Scientists peer into those jars on the kitchen counter to find out.
Microbial secrets of sourdough
- ↪︎ Machine learning has found uses in fields as diverse as particle physics and radiology, and its influence is growing. But so is the understanding of its limits.
Why some artificial intelligence is smart until it's dumb
- ↪︎ I didn’t realize how quickly peas germinate.
Boxlapse: Pea, Tomato, Basil, and Cucumber plants grow in time lapse | The Kid Should See This
- ↪︎ Beautifully serene bridge in Japan with an interesting story.
Saruhashi Bridge – Otsuki, Japan - Atlas Obscura
- ↪︎ Has the world become more or less free? To find out, this graphic highlights the changing state of democracy in 167 countries since 2006.
Infographic: Visualizing the State of Democracy, by Country
- ↪︎ With the current supply chain of cobalt under scrutiny, companies and governments are striving to find new sources of cobalt beyond the Congo.
Ethical Supply: The Search for Cobalt Beyond the Congo
- ↪︎ Who’s the richest of them all? Here's a look at the 25 wealthiest families in the world, and the companies that kickstarted their empires.
Ranked: The World's Richest Families in 2020
Links for September 19, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 11:30 PM
- ↪︎ Strikingly pretty.
Mya Thein Tan Pagoda – Min Kun, Myanmar (Burma) - Atlas Obscura
- ↪︎ Mini Manhattan!
Here is New York City, from a brick's eye view | The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ I love the style of this one.
The deeper picture | The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick
- ↪︎ Americans from across the nation paid tribute to supreme court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg who has died
Tributes to Ruth Bader Ginsburg â in pictures | US news | The Guardian
Links for August 17, 2020
Posted on Monday, Aug 17, 2020 1:19 AM
- ↪︎ Whale Surfacing.
Whale : NatureGifs
Links for August 14, 2020
Posted on Friday, Aug 14, 2020 2:10 AM
- ↪︎ hehehe
Links for August 9, 2020
Posted on Sunday, Aug 9, 2020 10:14 PM
Links for August 8, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Aug 8, 2020 5:27 AM
- ↪︎ Well, at least this wasn’t some new ant discovered in 2020, but it wouldn’t have surprised me anyway.
Freaky 'hell ant' found frozen in 99-million-year-old amber with bug in its maw - CNET
- ↪︎ “Just a few bad apples”
Santa Clara County sheriff's captain among 4 indicted on felony bribery and conspiracy charges : SanJose
Links for August 7, 2020
Posted on Friday, Aug 7, 2020 2:46 AM
- ↪︎ Discover IBM Building 025 in San Jose, California: A lonely monument to the original Silicon Valley tech campus.
IBM Building 025 – San Jose, California - Atlas Obscura
Links for August 6, 2020
Posted on Thursday, Aug 6, 2020 2:37 AM
- ↪︎ “Haven’t you heard, it’s a battle of words”
Seems very appropriate for the current times.
Us and Them by Pink Floyd on Apple Music
Links for August 1, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Aug 1, 2020 11:29 PM
Links for July 11, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Jul 11, 2020 2:00 AM
- ↪︎ A nice review of humidifiers (I’ve been looking for one)
The 6 Best Humidifiers to Keep You Breathing Easy During Quarantine
Links for July 3, 2020
Posted on Friday, Jul 3, 2020 9:37 PM
- ↪︎ The Missing Sounds of New York
#NewYorkCity #COVID-19 #NewYork
The Missing Sounds of New York
Links for June 17, 2020
Posted on Wednesday, Jun 17, 2020 2:56 PM
Links for June 13, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Jun 13, 2020 12:40 AM
- ↪︎ Opinion | Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police - The New York Times
#BlackLivesMatter #PoliceAbolition #RacialEducation
Opinion | Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police - The New York Times
- ↪︎ Camila's Abolition Reading List
#CrimeAndJustice #PoliceReform #PrisonReform #BlackLivesMatter #RacialEducation
Camila's Abolition Reading List
- ↪︎ Prison Abolition Syllabus
#BlackLivesMatter #CrimeAndJustice #PrisonReform
Prison Abolition Syllabus
- ↪︎ INSTEAD OF PRISONS: A HANDBOOK FOR ABOLITIONISTS Instead of Prisons: A Handbook for Abolitionists
#PoliceReform #BlackLivesMatter #RacialEducation
INSTEAD OF PRISONS: A HANDBOOK FOR ABOLITIONISTS Instead of Prisons: A Handbook for Abolitionists
- ↪︎ Prison Abolition and Alternatives to Incarceration Starter Resources
#PoliceReform #CrimeAndJustice #RacialEducation #BlackLivesMatter #PrisonReform
Prison Abolition and Alternatives to Incarceration Starter Resources
- ↪︎ Police Abolition Study
#PoliceReform #RacialEducation #BlackLivesMatter
Police Abolition Study
- ↪︎ Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Davis
#RacialEducation #CrimeAndJustice #PoliceReform
Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Davis
- ↪︎ Master List of Black Revolutionary Readings
Master List of Black Revolutionary Readings
- ↪︎ The New Jim Crow - Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
Take Action - The New Jim Crow
- ↪︎ What a World Without Cops Would Look Like – Mother Jones
What a World Without Cops Would Look Like – Mother Jones
Links for May 31, 2020
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2020 3:49 AM
- ↪︎ SQLite turns 20
SQLite Forum: SQLite turns 20
- ↪︎ When you elongate words, you're actually loading them with a whooooole lot of meaning.
Whoooaaa duuuuude: Why we stretch words in tweets and texts | Ars Technica
- ↪︎ George Floyd's family spoke to both President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden this week following Floyd's death in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
George Floyd's brother said Trump 'didn't give me an opportunity to even speak' during phone call - CNNPolitics
- ↪︎ With the likes of Adventure Time: Distant Lands, Batman, and even Studio Ghibli, HBO Max is an embarrassment of animation riches.
An Overview of HBO Max’s Animated Library | Rotoscopers
- ↪︎ Six Colors by Jason Snell and Dan Moren
AT&T's Long Lines network - Six Colors
Links for May 28, 2020
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:10 PM
- ↪︎ Trains Speed Through the Swiss Countryside to Techno Beats -
I could watch this forever. This is a perfect combo.
Trains Speed Through the Swiss Countryside to Techno Beats
Links for May 24, 2020
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2020 4:05 AM
- ↪︎ The Cartoon Art Museum is raising money for it's 35th anniversary! Order some Calvin & Hobbes-related tribute merchandise to support @cartoonart
A Boy and His Tiger: A Tribute to Bill Watterson
Links for April 25, 2020
Posted on Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 6:15 AM
- ↪︎ lmorchard starred openmainframeproject/cobol-programming-course
GitHub - openmainframeproject/cobol-programming-course: COBOL Programming Course
Links for April 24, 2020
Posted on Friday, Apr 24, 2020 5:52 AM
- ↪︎ No, You Don't Need To Disinfect Your Groceries. But Here's How To Shop Safely
No, You Don't Need To Disinfect Your Groceries. But Here's How To Shop Safely
- ↪︎ How to sew a mask, with a template
#FaceMask #COVID-19 #coronavirus
How to sew a mask, with a template
- ↪︎ San Francisco Pride is officially canceled this year
#sanfrancisco #2020 #PrideParade
San Francisco Pride is officially canceled this year
- ↪︎ Parsing Apple's COVID mobility data ↦
#COVID-19 #data #coronavirus #apple
Parsing Apple's COVID mobility data ↦
- ↪︎ Covid-19 International Dashboard April 23
#coronavirus #data #COVID-19 #graph
Covid-19 International Dashboard April 23
Links for April 22, 2020
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 22, 2020 11:05 PM
- ↪︎ The Origin of 8-Bit Arcade Fonts from @kottke
The Origin of 8-Bit Arcade Fonts
Links for April 21, 2020
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2020 7:14 PM
- ↪︎ Deepwater Horizon Ten Years On
Links for March 6, 2020
Posted on Friday, Mar 6, 2020 3:12 AM
- ↪︎ Wat Arun in Khwaeng Wat Arun, Thailand by @atlasobscura
Links for November 17, 2019
Posted on Sunday, Nov 17, 2019 11:17 PM
- ↪︎ San Francisco’s most polarizing buildings by CurbedSF
San Francisco’s most polarizing and unusual buildings - Curbed SF
Links for December 26, 2018
Posted on Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018 7:04 PM
Links for November 28, 2017
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 28, 2017 7:19 PM
- ↪︎ Skip or short-change any one of them and your city of bikes won’t work as well.
5 Reasons Why Amsterdam Works So Well for Bikes - CityLab